ERDDAP example data: ruby-netcdf (Ruby 2 to 3 support)

Rob Cermak

Mar 24, 2024, 12:55:40 PMMar 24
to ERDDAP
Hi All,

I was climbing through the ERDDAP code and the erddapTest repository.  I discovered some ruby code that I could not run as the ruby-netcdf package is not apparently available in the Ubuntu 22.X version of the OS.   So, I went as far as creating a docker image that allowed access to a Ruby 2 ruby-netcdf package that allowed me to run those scripts again.

Doing some deeper digging, a ruby-netcdf package will appear in Ubuntu 24.04 with support for Ruby 3 allowing that code to work again.   However, this seems to be internally maintained by Debian.  The main source code site still only supports Ruby 2.

As an exercise, I slowly creating companion python/xarray versions of that code.  What may transpire is creation of a generic repo of netcdf examples for testing with ERDDAP and various compliance checkers.   This will include generation of some examples using the OG-1.0 format specification.   From my current investigations, ERDDAP holds the best diversity of examples at the moment.

I wanted to ask what was the plan for the ERDDAP test suite and examples?  It looks like there might be three copies of examples?

1. Examples embedded in the java code that include the example and how to use the tools to generate a dataset.xml.

2. Ruby code and examples as part of the errdap repo.

3. Ruby code and examples in the erddapTest repo.

Where is the best place to look for current authoritative examples of the three locations mentioned above?

Thank you,
Rob

PS> This exercise largely helped me formulate a pathway for the acoustic dataset.  I had a devil of a time figuring out an appropriate structure.  Once I was able to stand up a "CF trajectoryProfile Multidimentional SingleTrajectory H.6.2" example, I was set.

The _acoustic version is a flattened version that works, but not 100%.   The _CF represents a better structure.  The _OG is the OG-1.0 format.  The only real difference at the moment between CF and OG is the variable names are CAPITAL and the recommended dimension names are different.

bobsimons2.00

Mar 25, 2024, 11:37:30 AMMar 25
to ERDDAP
I am totally confused. Are you saying there is Ruby code in the ERDDAP and erddapTest repos?
If so, please tell me where.
If not, please back up and tell me where the Ruby code is.

Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal

Mar 25, 2024, 11:44:45 AMMar 25
to Bob Simons, erDDAP Bob Simons via
/src/test/resources/CFPointConventions/README

-Roy

Chris John - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 25, 2024, 11:54:32 AMMar 25
to Rob Cermak, ERDDAP

bobsimons2.00

Mar 25, 2024, 11:57:42 AMMar 25
to ERDDAP
I agree. That must be something that came with the CFPointConventions long ago. It is not part of ERDDAP. It is not run as part of ERDDAP testing.

Rob Cermak

Mar 25, 2024, 2:41:57 PMMar 25
to ERDDAP
Chris,

I am still slowly climbing through the existing tests and examples at the moment trying to connect ERDDAP to other pieces of IOOS Glider DAC sanctioned software.   At the IOOS Code Sprint, I will be sifting through all the samples I will have collected.  I will keep the ERDDAP test suite in mind to see if there are more tests that could be added or modified.

Is June too late to cycle back around?

Rob

So, yes the ruby code seems specific to the CF examples.   It appears in two places at the moment.

It is not a lot.  I was initially fearful that the ruby-netcdf package was going to fall by the wayside and we would lose the ability to recreate these in the future.   The package ruby-netcdf will continue to exist in Ubuntu 24.04 (LTS).  That will allow usability for at least the next 10 years via that distribution.  With some scraps of time, it might be a good exercise to create a parallel set of python/xarray code to co-exist with this ruby code.

Chris John - NOAA Affiliate

Mar 26, 2024, 4:29:06 PMMar 26
to Rob Cermak, ERDDAP
June is not too late to circle back.

The copy in the erddap repo (test/resources), will likely be getting removed very soon.

Besides that, the ruby code in question is not run as part of ERDDAP, and I believe is only included because it came along with the data files (.nc) that are used for testing in that directory.