Re: [EPx Developers] Digest for epx-developers@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 1 Topic

David Bosworth

Jul 18, 2012, 9:49:32 PM7/18/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dragan -

I been able to compile Energy Plus for OSx and Linux systems using GFortran in the past, although mostly for version 6, and there have been a few dependency changes since version 7.  Still, I would be glad to share makefiles and compiler settings and collaborate to get version 7(.1) to compile cleanly.

What problems were you encountering when you tried to compile?

cheers
Dave

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:31 AM, <epx-dev...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/epx-developers/topics

    Dragan Cvetkovic <dragan.cv...@gmail.com> Jul 17 05:26AM -0700

    I have a problem with compiling a EnergyPlus opensource code.

    Which compiler to use?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Group epx-developers.
You can post via email.
To unsubscribe from this group, send an empty message.
For more options, visit this group.

Clayton Miller

Dragan Cvetkovic

Jul 20, 2012, 6:38:52 AM7/20/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com

Dear Dave,

thank you very much for your response.

I am using the Windows platform, because I’m not the best in Linux, so I tried to make the EnergyPlus project for Windows. However, I failed.
I used Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and Intel Visual FORTRAN V11.
Have you had any experience with FORTRAN projects in Windows, and could you help me about making a project for EnergyPlus in Windows?

Thank you very much for helping me,

Cheers,

Dragan

On Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:49:32 AM UTC+2, David Bosworth wrote:
[...]

David Bosworth

Jul 21, 2012, 1:34:17 PM7/21/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dragan -

I have also spent time compiling EnergyPlus using Visual Studio - I bet if you put up in a post the compiler log with the error messages I or someone else on the list could point you in the right direction.

cheers
Dave

David Bosworth

Jul 21, 2012, 1:37:34 PM7/21/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
On the broader issue of compiling for various operating systems, how would the group and owners like to handle this?  Could we begin a library of makefile or compiler settings for compiling EPx under various conditions?  Where is would be the best place to keep this library?

all the best

Dave

Peter Ellis

Jul 21, 2012, 7:28:17 PM7/21/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the great questions, Dave.  For now, I would propose to commit makefiles, compiler settings, and build instructions to the repository at the trunk node, alongside the existing files we have:  SourceReadme.pdf and Makefile.gfortran.  That way we can track revisions to these files along with the source.  We might move things around a little once we know better what we want to do with the directory structure.  The current structure (Extras, SourceCode) is just the way that the source code is distributed by the EnergyPlus team.

As Clayton said, this is perfect material for online documentation.  With that in mind, I think it would be ideal to have the build instructions written up in a text-based markup language like Markdown or reStructuredText (the latter is what's used by Sphynx which came up in the documentation thread).  Either of these can be easily converted to HTML and PDF.  Plain text, or really any format, would be just fine too for starters...we can reformat as needed.

So let's make it official:  If you have a makefile, compiler settings, or build instructions--for any platform and compiler--that you'd like to contribute, you can reply to this thread and attach your files.  We'll get them into the repository, and eventually onto the web site.

Thanks!