Dragan

Dragan Cvetkovic

Jul 17, 2012, 8:26:33 AM7/17/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
I have a problem with compiling a EnergyPlus opensource code.

Which compiler to use?

Neal Kruis

Jul 17, 2012, 10:07:40 AM7/17/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
In the top directory you should find a document titled "SourceReadme.pdf". This provides a brief discussion on compiling EnergyPlus.

Currently the EnergyPlus development team uses Intel Visual Fortran to build their releases. In the future, we hope to post instructions on compiling with a free, open-source compiler such as GFortran.

Neal Kruis

Clayton Miller

Jul 18, 2012, 4:54:32 AM7/18/12
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
If you're a student or an academic then check out Intel's student rates - $50-150!:

You can then get Microsoft Visual Studio for free as a student or startup:

Mengsong Zou

Oct 29, 2013, 5:25:53 PM10/29/13
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is the first time I've been trying to work with EnergyPlus. I downloaded the source code, but have no idea of how to compile and run it in Linux(Scientific linux). Is there anyone can help me or give me a link to some tutorial?

I looked this page:
http://bigladdersoftware.com/epx/developer-tutorial/build-from-command-line.html
But the method they provide is not working because when I'm doing
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=RELEASE ../../SourceCode/

I got an error:
CMake Error: The source directory "~/Research/EnergyPlus/energyplus-8.0.0.008-source/SourceCode" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.

So basically I'm stuck here. Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks.

Best,
Mengsong

Jeremiah Crossett

Oct 29, 2013, 5:42:44 PM10/29/13
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Mengsong, I'm not sure about the tutorial, but I am compiling just fine with a GNU compiler bundled into an IDE called simply fortran. A free trial can be downloaded on their website: http://simplyfortran.com/  This is for my custom version that is modified from the development team version 8.1 and under my own licence (not actually EPX)  With simply fortran I use the following compiler flags: -cpp -ffree-line-length-none -Wtabs -fbacktrace -Wno-align-commons -w

Also I wonder how I might contribute my code to EPX? (I did not notice any way to contribute on the site...)

Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951

Neal Kruis

Oct 29, 2013, 7:56:30 PM10/29/13
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Mengsong,

You must download from the SVN branch "epx_dev" as described in this link:

For now, this is the only branch configured for CMake builds. Please let me know if you are still having problems.

Neal

Neal Kruis

Oct 30, 2013, 11:27:42 AM10/30/13
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Jeremiah,

We welcome anyone interested in contributing to EPx. Currently there are a few people with read/write access to the SVN repository. For those without read/write access you can send us files you have changed and we will review them before committing them to the repository. After a few submittals we can look into getting you read/write access as well.

We are still establishing a vetting process for adding new committers to the repository, but for now feel free to post any changes you make to the code and we will look into merging them into the development branch.

Thanks for your interest!

Neal

Jeremiah Crossett

Oct 30, 2013, 12:24:21 PM10/30/13
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Neil,
Thanks for the response. Once EPX has V8.1, then I will submit my code V8.1 code.  Would not  make sense to submit V8.1 code to EPX V8...

Hey have you heard that Energy Plus is being translated to C++ by Autodesk with a group called Objexx, that V8.1 will be the last Fortran version. Also and that there will not be another release a year rather then in April..

Jeremiah Crossett

Jan 30, 2014, 4:27:30 PM1/30/14
to epx-dev...@googlegroups.com
Neal,
I have attached my code in a zip file.  Most of the changes are to HeatBalFiniteDifferenceManager.f90, with small additions to DataHeatBalancef90 and SurfaceGeometry.f90.

Also included is documentation in word doc format.

Please let me know if this work can be contributed to EPx?

Jeremiah D. Crossett
  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203
 | Mobile 503-688-8951

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM, Neal Kruis <neal....@bigladdersoftware.com> wrote:
Modified Files (1).zip