Spec level of epubcheck 4.0

Ric Wright

Apr 7, 2015, 2:58:37 PM4/7/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
What is the expected level of compliance of epubcheck 4.0, I.e. What version of the epub spec will it validate at present?  I ask because I have some sample widgets from Will Manis and they generate a lot of errors from the current epubcheck build (e.g. Collection element, "link element requires a rel attribute" (which is not correct, it’s optional) and so on. I’m pulling from the IDPF/epubcheck repo and building locally.

Just checking with the experts before I go floundering around.

Thanks
Ric

Matt Garrish

Apr 7, 2015, 3:31:32 PM4/7/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ric,

It’s being upgraded to 3.0.1 + edupub.

Collections are supposed to allow opf.collection.link*, which makes @rel optional, but the rnc schema currently specifies opf.link*. Definitely a bug.

Collections being reported as not allowed is just odd, if that’s what you’re getting. Unless they’re in the wrong position in the file (not after the spine), I can’t reproduce.

Matt

Ric Wright

Apr 7, 2015, 4:47:40 PM4/7/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt
Let me dig a bit more

Ric

Sent with my thumbs

Ric Wright

Apr 8, 2015, 8:27:32 AM4/8/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Hm.  The collections element is definitely after the spine.  If you want to look at the code itself, I pulled them down from the IDPF repos:

Courtesy of Will Manis.

Ric

Matt Garrish

Apr 8, 2015, 10:56:15 AM4/8/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
I don’t see any epubs in componentProtocol, and the four in componentUtility all validate without error, even after I build and merge. If you could send me the problematic opf file, I can probably eyeball what’s wrong.

Ric Wright

Apr 8, 2015, 11:00:39 AM4/8/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Your wish is my command.  :-)
content.opf
componentContainer.merged.epub

Ric Wright

May 7, 2015, 3:29:51 PM5/7/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Just a quick update.  I finally got some breathing room and updated my epubcheck from github.  I rebuilt and integrated it into my tool and the errors and warnings from Will’s Widget/SC disappeared… EXCEPT for two errors telling me that iframes are strongly discouraged.  :-)  I see from the issue tracker that Romain has assigned that issue to himself and it will get fixed.

Thanks for the updates, folks.