Could not create the Java virtual machine...

Antonio Vizcaíno

Jun 12, 2014, 10:42:28 AM6/12/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com

Ok, i know that probably is my fault, maybe change something on my mac 10.9... but i can't run epubcheck now.

This is the message:

XXX:~ XXXXX$ java -jar/Applications/epubcheck-v4.0.0-alpha4/epubcheck.jar

Unrecognized option: -jar/Applications/epubcheck-v4.0.0-alpha4/epubcheck.jar

Any idea?

Thanks a regards guys.

Tobias

Jun 12, 2014, 11:04:26 AM6/12/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

that's just a typo. The command must have a space inbetween "-jar" and "/Applications/..."

XXX:~ XXXXX$ java -jar /Applications/epubcheck-v4.0.0-alpha4/epubcheck.jar

Cheers, Toby

d a

Jun 14, 2014, 6:07:40 PM6/14/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com
As a ex Beta tester and like to do again, I concur with Tobias that it is generally a misconstrued pathway.  Your error message was just begging for realignment.
I do believe it is called a pointer - as in  when you direct a line of code towards an external file or file folder, &tc.

Cheers,

P.S. has anyone ever embedded a whole MP3 file into an eBook - if so, what does this do to file sizes - like if I wanted to embed, say 10 MP3 files!
Really curious!

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 08:04:26 -0700
From: tobias.ca...@gmail.com
To: epub...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Could not create the Java virtual machine...

Steven Antoch

Jun 14, 2014, 10:20:25 PM6/14/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com
I can guarantee I have seen epubs with multiple mp3 files in them. And way, way more.

Yes,  file size becomes an issue.

Steve
Barnes and Noble

Sent from my Windows Phone

Jun 15, 2014, 12:22:33 AM6/15/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Depending on what they are (spoken word, music, combination) you can downsample the files and get much smaller files at the cost of lower nitrate and quality.

The other question I’d ask is how are you providing fall back and accessible content? According to the spec the fallbacks are required for valid epub3 documents.
signature.asc

d a

Jun 19, 2014, 8:49:47 PM6/19/14
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Hello and Thank you,

I am going to perform my own experiments and then we will see what is UP!

Cheers,

From: carlos...@gmail.com
Subject: Re: I want to embed 10 MP3's - Size matters!
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:22:29 -0700