epubcheck build errors

Ric Wright

Jun 15, 2015, 11:39:02 AM6/15/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
I cloned from the epubcheck github repo this morning (looking forward to getting all the new goodies that Romain pushed).  I cloned to a new sandbox then built.  Unfortunately, I see errors and it doesn’t build. Looks like it is all the same error in the Validator.Map.Builder?

 I have attached the errors as well as my maven installation info.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Ric

epubcheck_build_errors.txt
mvn_version.txt

Romain Deltour

Jun 15, 2015, 12:10:01 PM6/15/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Mmm. It compiled fine here, as well as on Travis CI.

A wild guess is some Java 6 incompatibility, I will have a look ASAP, thanks for the logs! In the meantime, you can try compiling with Java 7 or 8.

Thanks,
Romain.

PS: btw, I know I promised a RC a while ago :-/. It's getting there, both issues you were concerned with s/b fixed in the new master. As well as `esc:*` properties being allowed.

Romain.

<epubcheck_build_errors.txt><mvn_version.txt>

Ric Wright

Jun 15, 2015, 12:26:07 PM6/15/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Romain. Will try shortly

Ric

Sent with my thumbs

Romain Deltour

Jun 15, 2015, 3:53:03 PM6/15/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Quick status: I confirm the issue comes from compiling with Java 6. I just tried and could reproduce locally. It compiles fine with Java 7 and 8.

Romain.

Ric Wright

Jun 15, 2015, 4:52:51 PM6/15/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that resolved the issue.  The gotcha was that it wasn’t easy to get maven to use the right JDK.  Apple apparently unsets any .bash_profile settings for Java when it upgrades the JRE (which it wants to do periodically).  So I re-set my JAVA_HOME to point to /usr/libexec/java_home in my .bash_profile. And set java_home to return v 1.8.  BUT  maven apparently ignores the bash profile setting and fetches the Apple jdk (in /System/Library) (through some method I don’t know).  So after some spelunking with Google, I found that maven reads its own .mavenrc file.  I didn’t have one, but I created one and put the JAVA_HOME pointing to the one in libexec and, mirabile dictu, maven accepted that and epubcheck finally builds.  Phew.

Thanks
Ric

Romain Deltour

Jun 16, 2015, 5:24:39 AM6/16/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Compilation should be OK on JDK 6 now:

I also configured Travis to systematically build on JDK 6, 7 & 8.

Romain.