USAGE asks for existing TOC reference

jens.t...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 11:59:57 AM6/17/16
to epubcheck

I'm trying to make sense of the following usage comment:

USAGE(OPF-058): foo.epub/OEBPS/toc.xhtml(-1,-1): Spine item has no TOC entry reference.

Garth Conboy

Jun 17, 2016, 1:41:39 PM6/17/16
to epub...@googlegroups.com
OPF-058 USAGE Spine item has no TOC entry reference. Every spine item in the manifest should be referenced by at least one TOC entry.

I bet you have some <spine> items that aren't referenced from your Nav file.

Best,
   Garth

jens.t...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 2:10:31 PM6/17/16
to epubcheck
True, the title page for example. Which should not show in the TOC. Should I add it anyway, and hide it somehow? Or should I disregard that comment.

BTW: Where is that more elaborate explanation of OPF-058?

Thank you!

Garth Conboy

Jun 17, 2016, 2:21:30 PM6/17/16
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Google "Spine item has no TOC entry reference" (in quotes).

jens.t...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 2:27:17 PM6/17/16
to epubcheck
Ah, the sources: https://github.com/IDPF/epubcheck/blob/master/src/test/resources/com/adobe/epubcheck/test/command_line/listSeverities_expected_results.txt#L165

So now what to do about this? Ignore it, and leave it alone? Or add the title page and somehow try to hide it? Considering it's a usage hint only, I lean towards ignoring it.

Jens

Garth Conboy

Jun 17, 2016, 2:28:31 PM6/17/16
to epub...@googlegroups.com
It wants each <spine> entry referenced from the Nav File -- so at least one per spine entry -- not just the cover page.

jens.t...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 3:54:08 PM6/17/16
to epubcheck
When you say “nav file” then you mean the book’s toc.xhtml which contains the table of content of the book, correct?

The title page is part of the <spine> amongst other elements that I haven't added to the book’s TOC. Are you suggesting that therefore I should add the title page (and others) to the book’s TOC? However, that’s quite unusual and I’m not too enthused about this approach :-) There are two ways to proceed:

 - Ignore the usage hint from epubcheck altogether; or
 - Add the missing spine entries to the TOC, and somehow hide them from being rendered, e.g. using the hidden attribute.

What would you recommend?

Thanks! Jens

Garth Conboy

Jun 17, 2016, 3:58:00 PM6/17/16
to epub...@googlegroups.com
CIL...

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM, <jens.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
When you say “nav file” then you mean the book’s toc.xhtml which contains the table of content of the book, correct?

The title page is part of the <spine> amongst other elements that I haven't added to the book’s TOC. Are you suggesting that therefore I should add the title page (and others) to the book’s TOC? However, that’s quite unusual and I’m not too enthused about this approach :-) There are two ways to proceed:

 - Ignore the usage hint from epubcheck altogether; or

You could do that!

 - Add the missing spine entries to the TOC, and somehow hide them from being rendered, e.g. using the hidden attribute.

The toc.xhtml is not, by default, rendered (unless it itself is included in the <spine>, which is not required), so there is no need for hidden, really.  But, you could do that.

Though, I don't see any reason not to include references to all <spine> items in your Nav file (e.g., toc.xhtml) -- likely best from an accessibility perspective too.

Best,
   Garth

What would you recommend?

Thanks! Jens