Filing issues against epubcheck 4.0

Ric Wright

Mar 11, 2015, 3:05:55 PM3/11/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I have a tool built on Eclipse that allows validating and editing EPUBs.  It uses epubcheck for the validation (by subclassing the Report  class and hooking it to Eclipse’s parsing and marker machinery).  Up to now it has been based on epubcheck 3.  I recently decided to upgrade to epubcheck 4 (largely due to the work I am doing with EDUPUB and widgets).

I am seeing some minor problems:
  • Missing documentation (comments in the code) that made it unnecessarily difficult (at least for me) to figure out how to integrate the new code
  • The English localization could stand some love as there are a number of minor grammatical errors
I exchanged some emails directly with Romain and will push a couple of pull requests soon.

More seriously, I am running into some issues (sic) integrating the new message() methods with Eclipse.  The reporting info is more complete (and that’s great) but in some cases it isn’t reporting what I feel is the right info.

For example, if the manifest has a reference to a missing resource it calls back with the message that the resource couldn’t be found.  Fine, but it reports the name of the missing resource but not the file (the actual OPF) which contains the missing reference.  So my tool has no idea what file to point to let the user investigate and fix the problem.  All I can do is tell the user there’s a problem somewhere in the project.

I am happy to file issues like this in your github repo, but just wanted to check that this was the preferred method (it is in Readium, which I run).  If there is a different preferred method, please let me know.

Thanks
Ric Wright

Director of Engineering
Readium Foundation

Matt Garrish

Mar 12, 2015, 7:21:23 AM3/12/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ric,

Sounds like we found the same bug at the same time.[1] I was told to file issues for anything I find that needs fixing so that there’s a record of items to be worked on, so I’d recommend the same.

Matt

Ric Wright

Mar 12, 2015, 8:19:08 AM3/12/15
to epub...@googlegroups.com