reminder: request for authorization of submission of EPUB to W3C

Bill McCoy

Jan 11, 2017, 10:52:09 PM1/11/17
to idpf-m...@googlegroups.com, epub-work...@googlegroups.com
As a reminder, IDPF is requesting that contributors to EPUB (in any
version and for any level of contribution, even just "passive" working
group participation) authorize being a co-submitter with IDPF on our
planned submission to W3C as part of implementing the combination of
our organizations.

Some questions and misinformation has arisen regarding our request.
More information has just been posted here:
http://idpf.org/news/calling-all-epub-contributors-ensure-epub-remains-free-and-open

The original request is here:
http://idpf.org/news/request-for-contributors-to-co-sign-idpf-epub-31-submission-to-w3c

For convenience, the authorization form is attached. If you plan to be
a co-submitter we would request that you provide a signed form as soon
as possible.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,

--Bill
BLANK_EPUB_3_1_authorization_with_cover.pdf

Ori Idan

Jan 12, 2017, 1:56:00 AM1/12/17
to Epub working group, idpf-m...@googlegroups.com
I think this whole merge of IDPF and W3C is a suicide act by the IDPF and I am very sorry to see this happening.
I really like the IDPF.

--
Ori Idan CEO Helicon Books

Bill McCoy

Jan 12, 2017, 12:09:13 PM1/12/17
to Ori Idan, Epub working group, idpf-m...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ori,

Of course every voluntary merger of a smaller organization into a
larger one is in some sense "suicide" of the smaller organization so I
don't think that's a particularly helpful label.

As far as the community around IDPF and our EPUB standard I believe
that the combination with W3C, on whose standards EPUB is already
built, will be a huge positive in the long run for breadth of adoption
(both globally and across all areas of publishing), strength of the
standards and the associated community, and advancement of our
mission. At the end of the day it's the community and mission that
matter not an organizational label whether it be "IDPF" or
"Publishing@W3C". So to me I see the future as "tremendous growth and
overwhelming success", not "suicide".

But we certainly will have challenges to make it happen. I hope you
will continue to help us make it happen.

And I do acknowledge and appreciate the kind words about IDPF which
has had a long and successful history as an independent organization.
I have been very proud to have been a part of it in a variety of roles
over the years including member, Board member, Invited Expert,
specification Editor, and for the last 6 years Executive Director.
But neither my pride in IDPF nor my job running it were things I felt
should get in the way of the key question: how do we best foster
global adoption of an open, accessible, interoperable digital
publishing ecosystem that enables innovation ? The IDPF Board,
unanimously, and the IDPF membership, overwhelmingly, agreed that
combining with W3C would be the most effective path to making that
happen given all the circumstances including that EPUB is so closely
aligned with already, and is on an evolutionary vector to integrate
more full with, the overall Web Platform. I really like IDPF too but I
like a free and open EPUB that is fully and consistently adopted
everywhere, and publishing features being front and center in the
overall Web Platform, and that's the next step of our community's
growth and success.

So Ori if you want EPUB to be free and open for everyone, and
consistently adopted everywhere, please stand with your fellow
contributors and provide me your authorization for Helicon Books to be
a co-submitter with IDPF as part of finalizing our combination with
W3C (and whether or not you were in favor of the combination you owe
your fellow IDPF members the respect of accepting their decision to
approve the plan to do it).

Thanks,

--Bill
>> email to epub-working-gr...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/idpf-members/CACyhTREwzSoC%3D_d9%3DiLAdA9_zhCDdBs5FsjbN%2Bd3_UqBDaue4w%40mail.gmail.com.

Garth Conboy

Jan 12, 2017, 1:14:44 PM1/12/17
to Bill McCoy, Ori Idan, Epub working group, idpf-m...@googlegroups.com
Excellent reply and explanation, Bill -- thank you.

And, to confirm, the current path of merging the IDPF into the W3C reflects unanimity on the IDPF Board which has been exploring the best direction forward for over a year.  The decision by the Board to place the merger before membership for a vote was made deliberatively and contemplatively -- this was evidenced by high participation in the vote and overwhelming approval.

We believe the merger will result in a bright and dynamic future for EPUB and will energize activity around digital publishing both in the classic eBook space and within the broader Open Web Platform.

Best,
   Garth

Glenda Browne

Jan 13, 2017, 6:47:45 PM1/13/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
HI Bill,

My authorization for ANZSI (involved with the Indexes WG) is attached.

Good luck with the upcoming changes.

Kind regards,

Glenda

ANZSIAuthorizationEPUB3.1.jpeg

David K. Ream

Jan 13, 2017, 7:43:40 PM1/13/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
Here it is. Good work. Dave
w3c-auth.pdf

Daniel Glazman

Jan 14, 2017, 4:05:01 AM1/14/17
On 12/01/2017 04:52, Bill McCoy wrote:
> As a reminder, IDPF is requesting that contributors to EPUB (in any
> version and for any level of contribution, even just "passive" working
> group participation) authorize being a co-submitter with IDPF on our
> planned submission to W3C as part of implementing the combination of
> our organizations.

Bill, should Invited Experts also give such an authorization?
Thanks.

</Daniel>

Bill McCoy

Jan 14, 2017, 12:16:03 PM1/14/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, thanks for raising this good point.

We welcome authorizations from Invited Experts (including, definitely, yourself) and this will result in an acknowledgment in the ultimate submission and will certainly help incrementally improve the transition of future EPUB, and other publishing work for the Web that is influenced by EPUB, to W3C's royalty-free model.

But, we are not explicitly requesting them on a blanket basis from all Invited Experts. Invited Experts in IDPF have historically had a more informal status than at W3C (where there is a specific agreement that they sign) and the formal IDPF Intellectual Property Policy was only applicable to IDPF members at the time of a particular revision.

So again please do send an authorization, if you are so inclined (and I hope you and other Invited Experts are!), but it is not part of the formal request at this time, because that was not the arrangement with W3C.

Again thanks for raising the point.

Best,

--Bill

Bill McCoy

Jan 24, 2017, 8:36:41 AM1/24/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David!!!

BTW you are "acked" in EPUB 3.1 as "Leverage" - were you an Invited Expert, as I don't see them on the members list...

--Bill

White, Jason J

Jan 24, 2017, 8:55:35 AM1/24/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, idpf-m...@googlegroups.com

[Jason] I'm named as an "invited expert" in the EPUB Accessibility 1.0 specification. I approve of the submission of EPUB 3.1 to the W3C. It is also to be hoped that further work will proceed on the accessibility specification in collaboration, as appropriate, with the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group.

________________________________

Thank you for your compliance.

Bill McCoy

Jan 24, 2017, 9:03:47 AM1/24/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, idpf-m...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jason, thanks very much.

While IDPF & W3C are not "formally" requesting authorizations from Invited Experts as we are from IDPF members and former members who contributed to EPUB, we very much welcome them. The list of those who are standing together to say they want EPUB and related functionality in the Web Platform to be free and open is growing and many notable contributors to EPUB over the years such as Adobe (thank you Leonard), Firebrand Technologies (thank you Fran and Joshua), Barnes & Noble, Jouve, O'Reilly Media, etc. have authorized within the last few days. Full list: http://idpf.org/contributors-committed-to-an-open-and-free-epub . This is going to be an historic moment: among other things there has never been a member submission to W3C with over 70 co-submitters.

So Jason (and others), please consider providing an authorization for you (if Invited Expert representing yourself) or your organization. But time is running out so ASAP please!

Thanks!

--Bill