DPUB-ARIA implementations

Matt Garrish

Jan 30, 2017, 8:52:54 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman

Hi folks,

As you may be aware, the DPUB-ARIA vocabulary is currently a Candidate Recommendation.[1] In order to exit this stage and move on to a final Recommendation, we need to show at least two publisher implementations of each of the roles.

We have some early adopters already on record, but still have a number of roles needing a second implementation. In that light, if you are already using the vocabulary in your publications, or are using epub:type in your workflows and can add the equivalent ARIA role attribute it would greatly help if you could let us know.

Similarly, if you are the developer of a reading system that implements any behaviours based on the role attribute and vocabulary (e.g., like pop-up footnotes with epub:type), it would be great to show that kind of application, as well.

Thanks,

Matt

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/dpub-aria-1.0/

White, Jason J

Jan 30, 2017, 8:59:21 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman

Jan 30, 2017, 9:24:24 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman
I know it's not a Reading System but BlueGriffon v2.2 offers a full UI
for WAI-ARIA 1.1 and DPUB-ARIA 1.0 editing.

Cf. https://twitter.com/glazou/status/813400638377836548

Hth.

</Daniel>

Matt Garrish

Jan 30, 2017, 9:42:19 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman

> there seems to be no standard representation of poetry

Yes, it's an old problem. There's a W3C wiki page that covers a number of proposals raised during the original development of HTML 5,[1] but I believe they were all rejected in the end so you're sort of left on your own to cobble poetry together from paragraph, div or pre.

Creating a set of semantics was raised during both 3.0 and 3.0.1, as I recall, but defining a set of poetry semantics was deemed out of scope of what we could achieve. Developing such a set of semantics was seen as needing more time and expertise.

Without some kind of nudge, I'm not sure anything is going to happen. If you'd like to have poetry considered for a future update, the best place to open an issue is probably the ARIA tracker.[2]

[1] https://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/PoeticSemantics

[2] https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues

Matt

Matt Garrish

Jan 30, 2017, 9:43:43 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman
> BlueGriffon v2.2 offers a full UI for WAI-ARIA 1.1 and DPUB-ARIA 1.0 editing.

Yes, we're going to mention BlueGriffon in the exit report. Thanks, Daniel!

Matt

Jan 30, 2017, 10:21:37 AM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman

Thank you, Matt, for the analysis. I’ve created an issue for this at

https://github.com/w3c/aria/issues/519

citing the reference you gave.

Charles LaPierre

Jan 30, 2017, 2:02:43 PM1/30/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, Ivan Herman
Hi Matt,
Benetech’s Certification Pilot program which is manually checking publisher EPUB files for conformance to the new Accessibility 1.0 specification, has a placeholder for the DPUB ARIA roles and will be including this in our accessibility reports which will eventually be linked to from the a11y:certifierReport metadata in the EPUB.

We have not yet seen any publishers during our Pilot using these new roles but we are setting up our program to specifically look for and call out those who do use the new markup.

Thanks
EOM

Charles LaPierre
Technical Lead, DIAGRAM and Born Accessible
E-mail: char...@benetech.org
Twitter: @CLaPierreA11Y
Skype: charles_lapierre
Phone: 650-600-3301