EPUB 3.1 unanimously approved - congratulations! (and reminder re: request for authorizations for co-submittal)

Bill McCoy

Jan 5, 2017, 2:58:02 PM1/5/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
The IDPF Membership has unanimously approved EPUB 3.1 as a Recommended Specification, by a vote of 72 YES to zero NO votes. 73 members voted (including one abstention) representing 54% of the members in good standing. significantly above the 25% quorum requirement.

I don't recall us ever getting unanimity on any prior vote ... congratulations to the whole Working Group as well as the editors and co-chairs.

BTW for contributors to any version of EPUB (even if it's only that your organization was acknowledged as a WG participant somewhere along the way - see http://www.idpf.org/epub/31/spec/epub-overview.html), we really really would like your authorization to be a co-submitter of EPUB 3.1 to W3C as part of finalizing the combination of IDPF with W3C. Our community has been very lucky that EPUB has always been free to use and implement, despite IDPF having a RAND IP policy, and we would like to take the opportunity of the combination with W3C to ensure that EPUB remains open, as well as to set the stage for future work at W3C under W3C's  royalty-free patent policy to deliver maximum compatibility with EPUB 3. More info and link to the form is here: http://idpf.org/news/request-for-contributors-to-co-sign-idpf-epub-31-submission-to-w3c . Please contact me ASAP if you have any questions about it.

Thanks!

--Bill

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Jan 5, 2017, 5:01:42 PM1/5/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

Rich Schwerdtfeger

Ivan Herman

Jan 6, 2017, 3:45:41 AM1/6/17
to EPUBWG
Yay! :-)

Ivan

----
Ivan Herman, W3C
Digital Publishing Technical Lead
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153

signature.asc

Elie Mietkiewicz

Jan 6, 2017, 4:39:55 AM1/6/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com
Good news ! :)

Elie

Yay! :-)

Ivan

On 5 Jan 2017, at 20:58, Bill McCoy <whm...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Product Manager, in charge of epub standard

Daniel Glazman

Jan 6, 2017, 5:15:36 AM1/6/17
On 05/01/2017 20:58, Bill McCoy wrote:

> The IDPF Membership has unanimously approved EPUB 3.1 as a Recommended
> Specification, by a vote of 72 YES to zero NO votes. 73 members voted
> (including one abstention) representing 54% of the members in good
> standing. significantly above the 25% quorum requirement.

Congratulations! Since the current trend is to merge all things Web and
EPUB, I'm glad to report the BlueGriffon Web editor is also merging
with the BlueGriffon EPUB2/3 editor into a single product.

I'm also glad to let you know I already started implementing 3.1. Next
public version of BlueGriffon [1] will ship with support for 3.1.

Doing so, I found a little thing [2] to kickstart the forthcoming
work on 3.2 :-)

Happy 2017 to all!

[1] https://is.gd/esacKN
[2] https://github.com/IDPF/epub-revision/issues/935

</Daniel>

Teixeira, Mateus

Jan 6, 2017, 10:33:08 AM1/6/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations and huge thanks to the WG and IDPF for the diligent work!

Best,

Mateus