more on new W3C EPUB 3 Community Group (co-chairs solicited)

Bill McCoy

Feb 17, 2017, 12:31:47 PM2/17/17
to epub-work...@googlegroups.com, public...@w3.org

Hi EPUB WG folks,

Following up on Matt’s note from last week, the EPUB 3 Community Group is live (public email list cc:ed). This Google Group will be frozen for posterity sometime soon, so to continue to be involved in the ongoing development of EPUB 3, please join the new EPUB 3 CG ASAP (it’s free!).

Link: https://www.w3.org/community/epub3/

We are looking for leadership of the EPUB 3 CG: two of the individuals who were nominated (by others) to serve as co-chairs during the “tabula rasa” stage of the new group are not available to do so (so don’t be misled by the seemingly full roster of chairs on the group page). If interested please contact Ivan Herman (iv...@w3.org) and/or myself ASAP.

There are a variety of potential near-term work items in the EPUB 3 family such as work on updating EPUB Accessibility 1.0, submission of EPUB 3.1 via our ISO partners as an update to the existing EPUB 3.0 ISO Technical Specification (which could result in an EPUB 3.1.1 to address errata), completing EPUB for Education profile refactored to be based on EPUB 3.1 (esp. EPUB Accessibility which has material that came from the current draft EPUB for Education). There were also a number of things in the EPUB 3.1 charter that didn’t mature in time to make the final cut for EPUB 3.1, e.g. moving from epub:type to @role, supporting HTML serialization, etc.  So there should be plenty of ‘action” in the EPUB 3 CG as we work to accelerate the adoption vector for EPUB 3, coordinated with work in the to-be-chartered new Digital Publishing WG on the longer-term goals for portable web publications and other publishing-related enhancements to the Open Web Platform. An EPUB 4 (if and when timely) would be expected to be taken up in the new WG in order to end up a W3C Recommendation but the timing of that is not yet clear and meanwhile anything in the EPUB 3 family is in scope for the EPUB 3 CG.

So I hope you will all participate in the continuation of our work in the EPUB 3 CG, and consider taking on a leadership role.

Thanks,

--Bill

Bill McCoy

Publishing Champion, W3C

P.S. as also noted earlier, the W3C Publishing Business Group is also live, and all former IDPF Members eligible to participate in the TPI Member program have been notified via their IDPF Primary Representatives, with details on how to join. As well organizations and unaffiliated individuals can join the Publishing Business Group separately from the TPI program. More information: https://www.w3.org/community/publishingbg/ (join link at bottom of page). The kickoff meeting for the PBG will be March 13 (London and via WebEx), and the agenda will include discussion of the overall integrated roadmap.