J content

Ric Wright

Feb 6, 2014, 5:24:11 PM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
I have been working through the test suite today with the current Readium Chrome build.  One item that has taken me far longer than I expected was the Japanese test files (EPUBTest 0130).  Unfortunately, I can’t read Japanese (English, French and a little German is my limit).  Fortunately, some kind soul has added images (bitmaps).

However, one of the issues I ran into is that the bitmaps that show “how it should look” are formatted such that only if the RS window has the same proportions (sort of letter-sized landscape) do the (reflowed) results look the same.  But, also, I got a crick in my neck trying to read the English instructions and the Japanese results.

I want to make clear that I thank those who put this together and thoughtfully provided the bitmaps.  Just trying to make it even more efficient.

I haven’t taken the EPUB apart yet, but wouldn’t it have made sense to:
  • Format the EPUB so that the Japanese document was formatted to be portrait rather than landscape?
  • Have some verbiage in the prologue of the document specifying how to format one’s browser so the layout of the rendered form looks the same as the screen capture?
  • Moreover, it seems like this might be a really good case for formatting the EPUB as a fixed-layout so those of linguistically challenged types don’t have to jump through these hoops.

Thanks
Ric