global language support question

Marisa DeMeglio

Feb 5, 2014, 10:20:01 PM2/5/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I received this feedback from an EPUB reading system tester. Could someone have a look? It is regarding the global language support tests in EPUB document 0130.

Thanks
Marisa

> 5. In epub30-test-130, headings-rtl-140 is supposed to test whether the "font-family"/"font-size"/"font-weight" properties are supported. However, it is hard for me to determine if the font-weight is working properly on the text in Bluefire Reader. I think the best test for this would be to include the same exact text in font-weight:normal immediately next to the bold text so that it can be easily seen if the text is actually bold or not. It would also make sense to separate the tests for font-family, font-size, and font-weight from each other so that they can be tested independently.
>
> The same applies to the question of serif/sans-serif in this test, but it comes with a twist. It is hard for me to tell if the text is rendering properly or not. Because this test is not using embedded fonts, it seems that it would also require two different fonts with Japanese character support to be installed on the device, one specified by the OS as serif and one as sans-serif. Is that a requirement of the spec? Maybe this test should be written in a way that can test vertical writing without introducing possible character issues? The text-style-rtl-010 test has a similar problem: it is hard for me to tell if something is changing in font-family when the default font on the device does not match the fonts shown in the expected display image. It would be best to have the same text side-by-side with different font-families applied for direct comparison.
>
> As a side note, I am seeing differences in the actual characters that display in some of these Japanese tests. While I suspect that this is just rendering issues in Bluefire, not a problem with the test documents, it seems to me that it would be best to have tests that do not involve those kinds of issues, or to have clear instructions about what "render similarly" means.

Toshiaki Koike

Feb 6, 2014, 12:29:30 AM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
I'll look them.

toshiaki
株式会社ボイジャー Voyager Japan Inc.
小池利明 Toshiaki Koike
ko...@voyager.co.jp
http://www.voyager.co.jp/

Ori Idan

Feb 6, 2014, 12:40:39 AM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Toshiaki

If you need any help, let me know.

--
Ori Idan

Toshiaki Koike

Feb 6, 2014, 3:48:20 AM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I updated 3 xhtml files and related files include by those xhtmls.
I think my English descriptions may be strange, please rewrite.
1) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/headings-005.xhtml
2) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/text-style-002.xhtml
I changed this test from [required] to [optional].
3) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/character-005.xhtml

About 1) ,2), I modified the pointed-out part.
About 3), I modified as UTR#50 rev11.
http://www.unicode.org/Public/vertical/revision-11/VerticalOrientation-11.html
I am worried about whether I should make another tests about all characters related UTR#50.

toshiaki

> Thank you Toshiaki
>
> If you need any help, let me know.
>
> --
> Ori Idan
>

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM, Toshiaki Koike <ko...@voyager.co.jp <mailto:ko...@voyager.co.jp>> wrote:
>
> I'll look them.
>
> toshiaki
>

> Hi all,
>
> I received this feedback from an EPUB reading system tester. Could someone have a look? It is regarding the global language support tests in EPUB document 0130.
>
> Thanks
> Marisa
>

> 5. In epub30-test-130, headings-rtl-140 is supposed to test whether the "font-family"/"font-size"/"__font-weight" properties are supported. However, it is hard for me to determine if the font-weight is working properly on the text in Bluefire Reader. I think the best test for this would be to include the same exact text in font-weight:normal immediately next to the bold text so that it can be easily seen if the text is actually bold or not. It would also make sense to separate the tests for font-family, font-size, and font-weight from each other so that they can be tested independently.
>
> The same applies to the question of serif/sans-serif in this test, but it comes with a twist. It is hard for me to tell if the text is rendering properly or not. Because this test is not using embedded fonts, it seems that it would also require two different fonts with Japanese character support to be installed on the device, one specified by the OS as serif and one as sans-serif. Is that a requirement of the spec? Maybe this test should be written in a way that can test vertical writing without introducing possible character issues? The text-style-rtl-010 test has a similar problem: it is hard for me to tell if something is changing in font-family when the default font on the device does not match the fonts shown in the expected display image. It would be best to have the same text side-by-side with different font-families applied for direct comparison.
>
> As a side note, I am seeing differences in the actual characters that display in some of these Japanese tests. While I suspect that this is just rendering issues in Bluefire, not a problem with the test documents, it seems to me that it would be best to have tests that do not involve those kinds of issues, or to have clear instructions about what "render similarly" means.
>

> --
> ------------------------------__------------------------------__-----
> 株式会社ボイジャー Voyager Japan Inc.
> 小池利明 Toshiaki Koike
> ko...@voyager.co.jp <mailto:ko...@voyager.co.jp>
> http://www.voyager.co.jp/

株式会社ボイジャー Voyager Japan Inc.
小池利明 Toshiaki Koike
ko...@voyager.co.jp
http://www.voyager.co.jp/
====================
■ボイジャーより新刊発売中です。
『ツール・オブ・チェンジ』
オライリー・メディア編 本体500円+税
---> http://bit.ly/TOCbinb

 本のメディアが紙からデジタルへと変化する
 まっただ中に私たちはいる
 読者のために! 本当の仕事とは何か?

☆BinBストアご購入特典 PDF/EPUBファイル付

Ori Idan

Feb 6, 2014, 4:00:00 AM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Thank you,
Since my mother tongue is also not English, I'd prefer that someone who is more knowledgeable in English will read and make the changes.

--
Ori Idan CEO

Marisa DeMeglio

Feb 6, 2014, 1:40:58 PM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Toshiaki! I will proofread the English descriptions.

marisa

Marisa DeMeglio

Feb 6, 2014, 8:33:13 PM2/6/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Toshiaki,

What do you think about creating three tests instead of just one for headings-rtl-040? Each property could then be evaluated separately: font-family, font-size, and font-weight. Right now, the test combines all three properties into one.

We may not need an image of the correct result so long as there is unstyled text for comparison. After the properties are separated out, we can ask Joshua for feedback again.

As for text-style-rtl-010, I’m not sure of the best approach. Is it possible to specify system font requirements?

Thanks
Marisa

Ori Idan

Feb 7, 2014, 12:51:01 AM2/7/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we need to separate it.
In my opinion it will make too many tests and I think that if a reading system supports fonts it will probably support font-family, font-size and font-weight.

--
Ori Idan CEO

Toshiaki Koike

Feb 7, 2014, 2:45:50 AM2/7/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

> I don't think we need to separate it.> In my opinion it will make too many tests and I think that if a reading system supports fonts it will probably support font-family, font-size and font-weight.

me too.

> As for text-style-rtl-010, I’m not sure of the best approach. Is it possible to specify system font requirements?

Japanese publishers(publish companies) are requiring followings about fonts.
Character Set
At minimum, the following character set will be supported:
JIS X 0213:2004

Fonts
At minimum, the following two fonts will be usable.
Monospaced Ming-cho-type font
Monospaced Gothic-type font
Furthermore, the above fonts will be assigned to generic font families as follows:
Serif: Ming-cho
Sans-serif: Gothic

When the font size is the same, the em size of both fonts will be equal.
Their em sizes will be equal regardless of differences in full-width and half-width characters.
The em sizes will be fixed even if -epub-text-orientation is used in the style sheet to change the text direction.
The display width of each font’s characters will not be markedly different.
from 20121226-ebpaj-guide-v112-en.pdf P10
downloadable at http://ebpaj.jp/guide.html

Famous RSs dealing with Japanese ebooks, such as,
iBooks
rakuten kobo
Google Play Books
Sony Reader
Kinoppy
Kindle

are filled above requirements.

Then serif/sans-serif fonts and the test is very important in Japan.
But above requirements are not EPUB requirements.

IMO, I don't need to specify system font requirements in the test files.

regards,
toshiaki

> I don't think we need to separate it.
> In my opinion it will make too many tests and I think that if a reading system supports fonts it will probably support font-family, font-size and font-weight.
>
> --
> Ori Idan CEO
>

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM, Marisa DeMeglio <marisa....@gmail.com <mailto:marisa....@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi Toshiaki,
>
> What do you think about creating three tests instead of just one for headings-rtl-040? Each property could then be evaluated separately: font-family, font-size, and font-weight. Right now, the test combines all three properties into one.
>
> We may not need an image of the correct result so long as there is unstyled text for comparison. After the properties are separated out, we can ask Joshua for feedback again.
>
> As for text-style-rtl-010, I’m not sure of the best approach. Is it possible to specify system font requirements?
>
> Thanks
> Marisa
>

> On Feb 6, 2014, at 12:48 AM, Toshiaki Koike <ko...@voyager.co.jp <mailto:ko...@voyager.co.jp>> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I updated 3 xhtml files and related files include by those xhtmls.
> > I think my English descriptions may be strange, please rewrite.
> > 1) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/headings-005.xhtml
> > 2) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/text-style-002.xhtml
> > I changed this test from [required] to [optional].
> > 3) epub30-test-0130/EPUB/xhtml/character-005.xhtml
> >
> > About 1) ,2), I modified the pointed-out part.
> > About 3), I modified as UTR#50 rev11.
> > http://www.unicode.org/Public/vertical/revision-11/VerticalOrientation-11.html
> > I am worried about whether I should make another tests about all characters related UTR#50.
> >
> > toshiaki

Voyager Japan Inc.