FW: Failed Font tests

Ric Wright

Feb 16, 2014, 10:22:35 AM2/16/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
FYI…  I couldn’t figure out why we would appear to support mangled fonts but fail the obfuscated font tests in fonts-070 for XHMTL but pass the ones for SVG.  So I asked our grad-student consultant in Poland to look into it.  Et voila…

BTW, I find it amusing that about 10% of the tests posted on the site claim they passed the tests…  :-)

Ric

From: Aleksander Adamowski <aleksander...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, February 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM
To: Ric Wright <rkwr...@geofx.com>
Subject: Re: Failed Font tests

Hello Ric,

I've finally tracked down all the problems with epub test suite embedded font tests.

The obfuscated font tests were indeed failing due to a bug in the tests themselves. After tearing some hair out during exhaustive JavaScript debugging sessions (Chrome doesn't report in any way that there's a problem with parsing a font's binary format) where everything seemed to work OK, except for the actual font face selection and rendering, I've narrowed this down to the fact that fonts are actually being deobfuscated by ReadiumJS, but their data is garbled both before and after deobfuscation. This had led me to suspect that they were incorrectly obfuscated.

I've modified my font mangling Ruby script (attached) to perform obfuscation/deobfuscation manually and it turned out that fonts in the test EPUB are indeed incorrectly obfuscated - most likely a different publication ID has been used for obfuscation key than is currently specified in package.opf.

I'm attaching a corrected EPUB file where fonts are obfuscated with a correct key based on current publication ID.

The last test failure, fonts-070 with unicode ranges, was indeed a readium-js bug - I've fixed it in this pull request:

BTW, about the nearest Readium JS engineering meeting on Tuesday, 18th of February.

Due to family reasons I'll be absent from the this time. The status from my side is that I've finished EPUB test suite font bugs and am starting work on epub-fetch refactoring as planned. If you have any questions or issues to discuss, feel free to e-mail me.

Best Regards,
Aleksander Adamowski
  http://olo.org.pl

I am using the latest build of the Chrome extension and loading the zipped EPUB file.

Thanks
Ric

From: Aleksander Adamowski <aleksander...@gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2014 at 1:26 PM
To: Ric Wright <rkwr...@geofx.com>

Hello Ric,

Are you using the web-based readium-js-viewer, or the Chrome extension? Which version (ideally, Git commit ID of the readium-js-viewer source tree)?

Are you loading the test EPUB in a zipped or exploded form?

I'll try to have a look at this problem during the weekend.

Best Regards,
Aleksander Adamowski
  http://olo.org.pl

Aleksander,

I am running through the EPUB Test suite and the tests for XHTML with obfuscated fonts fail.  Specifically, tests fonts-040, fonts-050, fonts-060 all appear to fail.  The same tests fail on iBooks as well, so it’s possible the tests are broken since I would expect iBooks to pass.  Can you take a look?

BTW, the same tests for SVG (I.e. 140,150 and 160) all pass, which seems weird and hence my suspicion of the above tests.

I have attached the test EPUB itself.

Also, test fonts-070 also fails but passes in iBooks.  Could you take a look at it as well?

Thanks
Ric

epub30-test-0103-20140122.epub
mangle_font_idpf.rb

Ric Wright

Feb 16, 2014, 10:24:57 AM2/16/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Excuse me, I meant fonts-40,50,60.  70 was our own bug, now fixed.

Ric

Matt Garrish

Feb 16, 2014, 6:38:19 PM2/16/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
Right, this was also found/fixed in the testing for the support grid, and I believe Marisa may have already fixed the source. They do in fact pass, but to the revised tests.

It really doesn’t help to have two different lists, as your time appears to have been wasted.

Matt

Ric Wright

Feb 17, 2014, 6:59:35 PM2/17/14
to epub-testsu...@googlegroups.com
AH, rats.  Now I see the update on the other list.  So much email, I can’t read it all.

Thanks
Ric