Euuuuhhhh...

Daniel Glazman

Feb 27, 2013, 10:09:58 AM2/27/13
to epu...@googlegroups.com
Guys, I have a bad feeling. If I read carefully all the messages
sent during the last 48 hours or so, we're rebuilding an EPUB3 clone
and I have clearly no time or even will for that.

The 80%/20% paradigm drives me: I think we can have a *drastically*
simpler package format for 80% of the cases and reserve EPUB3 (or
successors) to the remaining 20%. The format for the 80% has to be
so dead simple it's almost not an implementation cost or burden.

Again, if I have 3 HTML documents and I build a ToC in a fourth HTML
document linking to the 3 first ones, I should be able to make an ebook
w/o dedicated software or even knowledge in 25 seconds.

</Daniel>

Hadrien Gardeur

Feb 27, 2013, 10:13:02 AM2/27/13
to Daniel Glazman, epub-ng
I don't feel that way about the discussions. People are just listing common use cases and arguing the pros/cons of each solution.

We already have a long list of things that would be dropped or vastly simplified compared to EPUB3.

Dave Cramer

Feb 27, 2013, 10:16:10 AM2/27/13
to Daniel Glazman, epub-ng
Yes. That was the original motivation for me. index.html is the glue; no special requirements for the other files, just bog-standard HTML. Zip it up and you're done.

Dave

Hadrien Gardeur

Feb 27, 2013, 10:19:28 AM2/27/13
to Dave Cramer, Daniel Glazman, epub-ng
Yes. That was the original motivation for me. index.html is the glue; no special requirements for the other files, just bog-standard HTML. Zip it up and you're done.

That's exactly what people are arguing about: what should be in the index.html and how we should express it.