evaluation models / frameworks req'd

kev.brace

Sep 10, 2009, 5:57:14 AM9/10/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Help req'd. I will be advising others on piloting an eportoflio
soon. I would like to include the need to design effective evaluation
procedures from the offset. Does anyone have any simple evaluation
models / frameworks I can give to eportfolio piloteers to use in their
projects?

I know JISC have comissioned some (I should know this!) , but cannot
locate them?

Regards..

Kevin Brace. CMALT, MSc, Ieng, PDF-ELT
HE Co-ordinator.
JISC Regional Support Centre West Midlands, University of
Wolverhampton,
Technology Centre, Wolverhampton Science Park, Glaisher Drive,
Wolverhampton WV10 9RU

T: +44 (0)1902 518931
F: +44 (0)1902 824345
E: k.b...@wlv.ac.uk
Skype: kev.brace

* Join my HE email list : http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/RSCWM-HE.html
* Join our Midlands eportfolio Group : http://groups.google.com/group/rscmeg

John Pallister

Sep 11, 2009, 4:26:11 AM9/11/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs

Hi Kevin - have you remembered the evaluation doc that we kicked-
around a little last year? [in pages section of this group]
http://groups.google.com/group/eportfolios-and-plts/web/eportfolio-success-criteria---learner-perspective
also an example of the basic document that I used can be found in
Appendic C in http://www.e-me.org.uk/resources/EuroPortfolioOxford.pdf

Hope this helps - if you find a 'good' evaluation doc/procedure please
signpost it here.

John

John Pallister

Sep 11, 2009, 4:31:31 AM9/11/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs

Helen L. Chen

Sep 11, 2009, 12:09:13 PM9/11/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great pointers, especially for potential survey questions.  I'm in the process of helping to design an evaluation component for some ePortfolio pilots participating in ePortfolio California ( http://www.eportfolioca.org/).  One instrument that looks promising is the Electronic Portfolio Student Perspective Instrument (abstract below).

For capturing faculty perspectives on ePortfolio use, the process described by YoonJung Cho and Gary Brown at Washington State is pretty interesting.

Exploring Faculty Perceptions of ePortfolio Use and Its Relationship to Faculty Teaching Beliefs
http://ncepr.org/finalreports/WSUfinalreport.pdf

And following an earlier conversation here regarding a compilation of international ePortfolio initiatives, I've started one on the ePortfolio community of practice I co-facilitate called EPAC.  It's pretty sparse right now and pretty much just covers what has already been mentioned but we welcome suggestions and additions -- http://epac.pbworks.com/International-ePortfolio-Initiatives.  Please feel free to check out the EPAC wiki and blog -- we invite to join our community as well at http://epac.pbworks.com/ and http://epaccop.blogspot.com/

Best regards,
Helen

Development of the Electronic Portfolio Student Perspective Instrument: An ePortfolio integration initiative

Journal of Computing in Higher Education
Volume 19, Number 2 / March, 2008, 47-71

Albert Dieter Ritzhaupt, Oma Singh, Thelma Seyferth and Robert F. Dedrick
(1)  Department of Secondary Education, University of South Florida, USA
(2)  Department of Educational Measurement and Research, University of South Florida, USA
(3)  Present address: College of Education, University of South Florida, 4202 E. Fowler Avenue, 33620-5650 Tampa, FL

Abstract  WITH THE PROLIFERATION OF EPORTFOLIOS and their organizational uses in higher education, it is important for educators and other relevant stakeholders to understand the student perspective. The way students view and use ePortfolios are revealing elements to aid educators in the successful integration of ePortfolio systems. This research describes the development of the Electronic Portfolio Student Perspective Instrument (EPSPI) and initial validation (N=204) efforts in the context of an ePortfolio initiative in a College of Education. The EPSPI incorporates four domains from a student perspective: employment, visibility, assessment, and learning; and connects those domains with four relevant stakeholders: students, administrators, faculty, and employers. Descriptive analyses, exploratory factor analysis, and a qualitative analysis using grounded theory were used. Results indicate that student perspectives towards ePortfolios are multidimensional with three distinct, internally consistent underlying constructs: learning, assessment, and visibility. Qualitative analysis revealed four interrelated themes from a student perspective: system characteristics, support structure, purpose, and personal impact.

Helen L. Chen, Ph.D.
Stanford Center for Innovations in Learning
Human-Sciences and Technologies Advanced Research Institute (H-STAR)
Wallenberg Hall
450 Serra Mall, Building 160
Stanford, California, 94305-2055
http://scil.stanford.edu/

Office: (650) 924-0228
Fax: (650) 725-0192
Email: hlc...@stanford.edu

Helen Barrett

Sep 11, 2009, 1:13:55 PM9/11/09
to kev.brace, ePortfolios and PLTs
I put together a Google Site with different ePortfolio surveys:
http://sites.google.com/site/eportfoliosurveys/Home

Helen
Dr. Helen Barrett, Researcher and Consultant
Electronic Portfolios and Digital Storytelling
to Support Lifelong and Life Wide Learning
253-229-5235 (cell phone) * Skype & Twitter ID: eportfolios
Home page: http://electronicportfolios.org
Calendar: http://ical.me.com/hbarrett/Work-Travel