Digital Identity: the beginning of the Learner ePortfolio

John Pallister

May 31, 2009, 4:28:51 PM5/31/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
I went back to look at Serge Ravet's post on the EIfEL Multiple
ePortfolio concept http://www.learningfutures.eu/2009/05/eifel-becomes-multipleportfolio-mep.html
. I began to think about digital identity and the web-presence that
every learner would need to have. A home page for everyone, perhaps
building on the Google Me idea http://mashable.com/2009/04/21/google-me/

I have dealt with the Google Me bit and have registered www.johnpallister.net.
But what should I; what should learners put on their public facing
Home Page? Or should they have one? are they more that just a URL?

Can we have what we are beginning to talk about without this starting
'page' that links to an individual's digital repository. A repository
over they would have control over who would 'see' or would have access
rights.

Roger Neilson

May 31, 2009, 4:52:04 PM5/31/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
There is probably a spectrum here, at one end is the protocol driven
'me' page that an organisation will seek to control, in the interests
of child safety, personal data protection etc - and at the other end
the 'vanity' page where everything is permitted and the entries are a
mish mash of design, font, layout, with a lot of random (to us)
material. some of which will be decidely not a good idea for data
protection etc.

The problem is that any web presence that is purely prescribed by a
bureaucracy will have no soul or personal 'declaration' and therefore
especially for the teenage user, no interest whatsoever.

When we establish our own 'digital presence' we make choices as to
what we put in the 'footprint' - there are probably some absolutes
that need o be there, there will be some stuff that is very
inadvisable to include - and there will be a lot of 'clutter' that for
us will be very meaningful, but actually a waste of time for a
reader.

A very necessary part of learning is to understand that we all have
this digital footprint and that we need to manage it... so there has
to be both guidance, and freedom to 'decorate it as they desire.

Its their teenage bedroom, we own the house and we cans ay there are
key thing that need to be in there, but we can only stand back and
watch as they decorate it in a manner that they find wonderful, and we
may find hideous.

Roger

On 31 May, 21:28, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> I went back to look at Serge Ravet's post on the EIfEL Multiple
> ePortfolio concepthttp://www.learningfutures.eu/2009/05/eifel-becomes-multipleportfolio...
> . I began to think about digital identity and the web-presence  that
> every learner would need to have. A home page for everyone, perhaps
> building on the Google Me  ideahttp://mashable.com/2009/04/21/google-me/

Ray Tolley

May 31, 2009, 5:46:17 PM5/31/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Serge has a very clear and well argued case for Digital Identity,
particularly from a European perspective. I think that there is a
serious call to all institutions around the world to recognise the
importance of getting it right and taking extreme care in not
introducing systems that students and staff will inevitably have to
reject as 'not fit for purpose'.

Watching the daily references to trainee teachers trying to introduce
some sort of e-Portfolio system to their students causes me a great
feeling of concern and urgency. It seems to me that too often we have
shepherds who do not have the ability to even guide their 'lambs' -
the blind leading the blind - with little regards to the potential
outcomes in relation to DI. What is good for an intelligent Honours
graduate may not be appropriate for an adventurous teenager or a less
able Primary school child.

As far as I understand it there are at least three separate components
to DI which may be handled quite separately or can be confusedly
combined with potentially dangerous outcomes.

Firstly, there is the strictly personal data which different
institutions may wish to access preferably through some sort of IMS/
SCORM/SIF/LEAP2 interoperability. This data can quite easily be
captured within forms which are designed for exporting/importing
data. However, I am not yet sure how effective any interoperability
system is at transporting the learner's artefacts.

Secondly, the compilation of a wide range of rich-media from an even
wider range of repositories opens up serious dangers concerning the
security of personal data. I cannot see how far-flung artefacts can
remain private and secure.

Thirdly, a specific aspect of Digital Identity is not so much the
content so much as the layout and organisation of one's e-Portfolio.
This is very much a part of one's expression of 'This is ME' and, I
fear, may be lost through an imperfect interoperability tool.

I agree with Roger that there is a serious danger that 'any web
presence that is purely prescribed by a bureaucracy will have no soul
or personal 'declaration' '. Unless an institution can give the
learners, whatever their age, an interface that allows them adequate
self-representation, experience has proved that there is no sense of
ownership or reason to maintain their e-Portfolio beyond the
requirements of 'the course'.

On 31 May, 21:28, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> I went back to look at Serge Ravet's post on the EIfEL Multiple
> ePortfolio concepthttp://www.learningfutures.eu/2009/05/eifel-becomes-multipleportfolio...
> . I began to think about digital identity and the web-presence  that
> every learner would need to have. A home page for everyone, perhaps
> building on the Google Me  ideahttp://mashable.com/2009/04/21/google-me/

Roger Neilson

Jun 1, 2009, 2:17:56 AM6/1/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Does every learner need a web presence? Well every learner is unique,
and following the personalization view then it is logical that they
need their own personal web presence. How else will they use the
digital world they exist it?

The question is not really do they, but what form odes this take? I
have so many web presnces I find it very difficult to keep track of
them, increasingly there are web presence aggregators appearing now
but there is a suspicion of putting too much material into the hands
of one web location.

Roger

Shirley

Jun 1, 2009, 3:32:39 AM6/1/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs, odi...@reading.ac.uk
At University of Reading we are running a Digital Identity project
called This is Me funded by Eduserv (web site http://thisisme.reading.ac.uk/).
We have developed a number of exercises to help people understand the
digital personae they present, these can be downloaded free via Lulu
(or printed at cost) http://stores.lulu.com/odinlab.
the material is under a creative commons license so you can adapt -
for example as Nancy White did
http://www.fullcirc.com/wp/2009/05/19/digital-identity-workbook-for-npongo-folks/,
we are still developing more exercises and games so we will update.

Shirley

On 31 May, 21:28, John Pallister <jpallis...@aol.com> wrote:
> I went back to look at Serge Ravet's post on the EIfEL Multiple
> ePortfolio concepthttp://www.learningfutures.eu/2009/05/eifel-becomes-multipleportfolio...
> . I began to think about digital identity and the web-presence  that
> every learner would need to have. A home page for everyone, perhaps
> building on the Google Me  ideahttp://mashable.com/2009/04/21/google-me/

Roger Neilson

Jun 1, 2009, 3:44:52 AM6/1/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Just had a quick skim of this, it offers lots that could be adapted
for use in schools as well. Thank you very much for sharing.

Roger

On 1 June, 08:32, Shirley <shirley.willi...@reading.ac.uk> wrote:
> At University of Reading we are running a Digital Identity project
> called This is Me funded by Eduserv (web sitehttp://thisisme.reading.ac.uk/).
> We have developed a number of exercises to help people understand the
> digital personae they present, these can be downloaded free via Lulu
> (or printed at cost)http://stores.lulu.com/odinlab.
> the material is under a creative commons license so you can adapt -
> for example as Nancy White didhttp://www.fullcirc.com/wp/2009/05/19/digital-identity-workbook-for-n...,

Ray Tolley

Jun 13, 2009, 9:42:37 AM6/13/09
to ePortfolios and PLTs
Yes, I agree that all students should have their own web-presence -
and this is where the e-Portfolio comes into its own:

1: The e-Portfolio can be a safe working place for our youngsters;
2: It allows them to uniquely represent themselves far more than any
VLE can allow;
3: Not all students are experts in html/CSS - an e-Portfolio provides
an easy initial level playing field;
4: Teachers can configure appropriate guidance as initial
personalisation;
5: It can be a central repository of all forms of rich-media;
6: As the student matures they can then link to other repositories
and cloud-based tools;
7: 'free' tools may not have guaranteed longevity, a commercial
solution ensures some level of responsibility.