Physics Needs Philosophy / Philosophy Needs Physics

Sadovnik Socratus

Feb 2, 2020, 5:27:05 AM2/2/20
to Epistemology
Physics Needs Philosophy / Philosophy Needs Physics
---
Philosophy has always played an essential role in the
development of science, physics in particular,
and is likely to continue to do so
By Carlo Rovelli on July 18, 2018
---
Contrary to claims about the irrelevance of philosophy for science,
 philosophy has always had, and still has, far more influence on physics
 than commonly assumed. A certain current anti-philosophical ideology
has had damaging effects on the fertility of science.
----
After Ptolemy, Copernicus, Galileo . . .
After Newton, Leibniz, . . .
After Faraday, Maxwell, Boltzmann,  . . .
After Einstein,  . . . Bohr, Heisenberg, Schrödinger, . . .
1 -  What is space?
2 - What is time?
3 -  What is matter ?
4 -  What is the “present”?
5 -  Is the world deterministic?
6 - Do we need to take the observer into account to describe nature?
7 -  What is the quantum wave function?
8 - What exactly does “emergence” mean?
9 -  Does a theory of the totality of the universe make sense?
10 - Does it make sense to think that physical laws
   themselves might evolve?
11 - The bing-bang ,   the expanding universe . . .  ?
12 - Dark matter, dark energy, black holes, . . . ?

It is clear, nowadays we don't have philosophy of science