Evangelism Toolkit

Susan Snook

Jul 20, 2009, 3:00:20 PM7/20/09
to Episcopal Evangelism
Several exciting initiatives were proposed at General Convention to
help Episcopalians improve the ministry of evangelism: an Evangelism
Toolkit, Convening and Supporting Evangelists, Strategic Vision for
Reaching Latinos/Hispanics, etc. Episcopalians are naturally somewhat
reticent people, reluctant to share our stories of faith - yet in
today's world, we cannot rely on our reputation or society's approval
to reach new people. Our story of life-transforming faith in Jesus
Christ must be so compelling that it makes others want to find out
more. Training and resources will help us learn how to tell our story
- yet we no longer have a churchwide office of evangelism. This list-
serve is the beginning of a grassroots effort to share resources and
ideas for this vital ministry.

So: let's begin with definitions and underlying assumptions. What is
evangelism? How is it relevant in today's multi-faith society? Why
do we do it?

Terry

Jul 21, 2009, 12:47:35 PM7/21/09
to Episcopal Evangelism
What is evangelism? We've got some "official" definitions (as you may
recall Kevin Martin recently pointing out to me!), but iirc, that one
is pretty long and theologically packed.

Here's the short definition I use:

Evangelism is inviting another to an encounter with Jesus Christ.

A lot can be covered within that brief description.

One of the issues I encounter quite often is the assumption that
evangelism and congregational development are the same thing. They
are indeed dance partners, but I think they are two different
components of a much larger mission. Congregational development
focuses on cleaning things up inside the church. Episcopalians are
pretty open to that idea. But, it seems to me that evangelism happens
primarily outside the church. We're not so good at that.

Perhaps I'll say more about that later. For now, I'll just listen to
how others might define this thing we call "evangelism."

Ann Fontaine

Jul 21, 2009, 12:51:51 PM7/21/09
to episcopal-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - are you Terry Martin of the Evangelism office (or former office?)

Evangelism for me is summed up in Jesus words - Come and see. Just
introduce people to Jesus as I experience him and say "come and see."
The other part is making a place for people to come to and see through
to Christ.

in another point - how much funding would restore the Evangelism
Officer position and how might we raise the $$? Ann
--
Ann Fontaine
Lander, Wyoming c3

4327

Elizabeth Ring

Jul 21, 2009, 1:24:07 PM7/21/09
to episcopal-...@googlegroups.com
Defining evangelism feels a little like trying to capture the scent of ripe berries.  However we define it, I believe it is gentle.

There is a wonderful understanding about mission from the Cyprus Agreed Statement that I have been mulling for some time.  I think there is something to ponder in it about evangelism too.  The idea of offering ourselves for reception is an invitation to join us in encountering Christ.

"What is called mission should rather be understood as reception.  Mission can be misunderstood as the Church attempting to impose herself on the world, whereas the Church properly offers herself to the world for reception."
from The Church and The Triune God
The Cyprus Agreed Statement of the International Commission
for Anglican-Orthodox Theological Dialigue, 2006

Faithfully,
Elizabeth

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Terry <terrym...@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Elizabeth M. Ring
Director of The Diocesan Resource Center
Diocesan Ecumenical Officer, Lay Order
Episcopal Diocese of Maine
143 State Street, Portland, ME 04101-3799
207-772-6923   er...@episcopalmaine.org
Member:  National Organization of Episcopal Resource Centers

This document may contain privileged and/or confidential information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Terry

Jul 22, 2009, 12:22:36 PM7/22/09
to Episcopal Evangelism
Hello Ann,

Yes, I'm the same Terry Martin...just created a profile to make that
clear.

Excited about the possibilities of this website!

The cost was about $450,000 for the triennium. For that kind of
money, we could plant a new congregation. At this point, I'm thinking
that this kind of grass roots effort would be of more value than to
restore a staff position at the national level.