Re: Great!

MarcoP

Aug 29, 2011, 9:25:06 PM8/29/11
to Epic.NET - dominant domains
This project looks very promising. I'm interested to see the approach
how Epic handles the query/reporting side for user interfaces. When we
can expect the next milestone?

Giacomo Tesio

Aug 30, 2011, 4:28:19 AM8/30/11
to epic...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,
I planned to release the 0.3 at the beginning of the next year, say 2012Q1.

My secret dream would be to release it in december 2011, but currently all the developers work in the same company: that is an advantage (we can comunicate every day on coffee time) and a disadvantage (on heavy workloads, we are all too tired to work on Epic).

Are you a domain modeler, an architect or a developer?
I'd really like to know your opinion about the manual and the design patterns proposed.
Have you already adopted something similar?

Giacomo

MarcoP

Aug 30, 2011, 8:45:43 AM8/30/11
to Epic.NET - dominant domains
I work for a small company so we tend to wear all three hats. When I
came to the company, our core application is very complex (Performance
Tracking/Metrics/Forecasting) and unfortunately is written in
transaction script and screams anemic models all over the place.We are
in the early phase of devising out attack so I wanted to make sure we
laid down a solid foundation.

The manual was easy to read and comprehend and my mind is trying to
envision how it all glues together. The context by role seems to fit
perfectly with all the applications I have worked on and how
everything is wired together around events and the proxy is also a
very neat trick.

Do you have any samples that shows this as work? They do not have to
be complete nor complex but the ACME example left me wanting more. :)

Thanks for the great work!

Giacomo Tesio

Aug 30, 2011, 9:16:52 AM8/30/11
to epic...@googlegroups.com
We are building the framework from scratch (since those that I call "Epic prototypes" are production ready frameworks that could give you an idea of the applications we target, but we do not hold copyright).

Thus, the reference implementation (an application based on ACME sample domain) follow the growth of Epic.
It will be updated in all the various milestones, the next being the 0.3 with the linq providers for at least SqlServer, Oracle and PostgreSQL (I hope, but since it will be easy to adapt the provider to new relational db, we could decide to support only one at first).

Giacomo

MarcoP

Aug 30, 2011, 9:25:50 AM8/30/11
to Epic.NET - dominant domains
Sounds good. When you have a chance, can you give me a brief synopsis
of how you guys handle your query side of things. For example, a
simple customer search screen with some dropdown filters? How does
that tie in with the bounded roles? Where does your caching happen?