Truck space for Ephemerisle, flotation barrels

瀏覽次數:73 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Patri Friedman

未讀,
2009年9月19日 下午6:30:302009/9/19
收件者:ephemerisl...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone taking a large vehicle to the event?  I have an art project in Mountain View which would most easily be transported in a pickup truck.  Also, I haven't quite finished the project yet, partly because I need flotation barrels and I don't have a large vehicle to get them with.  Does anyone else need flotation and have a large vehicle and want to work together to get some barrels?  I need 12-20 gal ones, about 9-12 of them.

Patri Friedman

未讀,
2009年9月20日 下午5:58:482009/9/20
收件者:ephemerisl...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone.  I've been generously offered a pickup truck to borrow.  The barrels are in Benicia, I am going with 5gal ones for $5/each, because they have a handle I can tie onto.  But the guy has 30gal and 55gals too, not sure on cost, you can always call him at 1-707-373-1261.

It's a long drive for me (over an hour), so if anyone else needs flotation, let me know!  I will probably be going on Thursday or Friday this week.

Matt

未讀,
2009年9月20日 晚上8:42:082009/9/20
收件者:ephemerisle-community
I might be in for some barrels. Do you know the dimensions of the
5gal ones?

On Sep 20, 2:58 pm, Patri Friedman <patriss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone.  I've been generously offered a pickup truck to borrow.  The
> barrels are in Benicia, I am going with 5gal ones for $5/each, because they
> have a handle I can tie onto.  But the guy has 30gal and 55gals too, not
> sure on cost, you can always call him at 1-707-373-1261.
>
> It's a long drive for me (over an hour), so if anyone else needs flotation,
> let me know!  I will probably be going on Thursday or Friday this week.

Matt Litman

未讀,
2009年9月22日 晚上9:59:332009/9/22
收件者:ephemerisle-community
BTW, Home Depot also sells 5 gallon buckets for about $3.50, including
the cover. The dimensions on the home depot buckets are 14.5" tall by
12" diameter.
> > > together to get some barrels?  I need 12-20 gal ones, about 9-12 of them.- Hide quoted text -

Jeff Chan

未讀,
2009年9月22日 晚上10:47:162009/9/22
收件者:ephemerisle-community
On Tuesday, September 22, 2009, 6:59:33 PM, Matt Litman wrote:

> BTW, Home Depot also sells 5 gallon buckets for about $3.50, including
> the cover. The dimensions on the home depot buckets are 14.5" tall by
> 12" diameter.

I'd probably question the water tightness of the buckets. They
probably have seals, but a solid barrel with a small opening
would seem more likely to stay sealed. Sealing and maintaining
water tightness is one of the major problems with floatation.

IOW the larger opening of a bucket means a much larger area for
the seal (to fail), more "leverage" for the forces to act against,
including wall flexing, etc. Enough flexing will open the seal.

Cheers,

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:nation-...@jeffchan.com

Patri Friedman

未讀,
2009年9月23日 下午4:29:202009/9/23
收件者:ephemerisle-community
Yeah, buckets can leak.  Also, they may not have good attachment points - these 5gal containers have a handle that we can tie things to.

2009/9/22 Jeff Chan <nation-...@jeffchan.com>
回覆所有人
回覆作者
轉寄