Grassroots event planning

James Hogan

Jun 21, 2010, 12:20:49 AM6/21/10
to ephemerisl...@googlegroups.com
Hey all!

It's great that y'all are excited enough about doing something on the water to create your own gathering.

I need to ask that planning for such gatherings not take place on any TSI-run discussion venues, such as this ephemerisle-community mailing list. In order for TSI to be firmly clear of legal liability, we need to be unambiguous about the fact that Ephemerisle is cancelled. This means that "TSI resources" (such as this mailing list) shouldn't be used to support the organization of ANY event that might be perceived to fill a similar role.

Sorry -- this was something our lawyer explicitly mentioned, so it's important for us to follow it!

James

--
James Hogan, Director of Operations
The Seasteading Institute

Christopher Rasch

Jun 21, 2010, 12:28:18 AM6/21/10
to ephemerisl...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

Thanks! Can we use a name with ephemerisle in the name, such as
"neo-ephemerisle" or ephemerisle-reloaded?

Chris

James Hogan

Jun 21, 2010, 1:53:59 AM6/21/10
to ephemerisl...@googlegroups.com
Patri's take:

"We cant exert legal control, since it isn't trademarked. But... I am queasy about having their event be at the same time, in the same place....with the same name as our cancelled event. If they use ephemerisle in the name, i would request it be clearly indicated to be not our ephemerisle, like "Not Ephemerisle", "unofficial ephemerisle", something like that."

I kind of agree, I realize it's a great name y'all would like to use, but it also has potential to cause confusion with marinas, law enforcement, the Coast Guard... whom we want to keep a strong relationship with for hopefully doing Ephemerisle in the Bay in the future.

Matt

Jun 21, 2010, 7:33:35 PM6/21/10
to ephemerisle-community
Hey everyone... in accordance with James's wishes, let's all move over
to floating-festival ( http://groups.google.com/group/floating-festival/
) and stop posting here. Please sign up for this google group. This
is where ongoing discussions of an informal gathering at the same time
& place appear to be strongest.

- Matt