Fwd: Elysium 2019 Planning Meeting, April 14, 3-5PM

Stellar Grey

Apr 5, 2019, 5:14:44 PM4/5/19
to ephemerisle-...@googlegroups.com
Elysium 2019 planning meeting

April 14th, 3PM-5PM,  1337 Mission St San Francisco, CA 94103

Draft agenda here

Hello Ephemerisle! It is now April and it’s time to begin planning Elysium 2019 and Ephemerisle in general.

As many of you know, a Barge Future crisis is in progress with the sale of the Holland Riverside Marina, and much energy is going into solutions. The prognosis looks good for the barge project, but may be another month or more in limbo. Organizers are tied up figuring out the finances and logistics of the move.

Much planning can go forward despite the Barge limbo. This meeting about stepping up to help with everything else that isn't the Barge move. It is primarily about planning Elysium but is open to interested parties who stay on other islands or boats.

Vision:

What do you want to see out of Elysium, this year or in the future? What do you enjoy about Elysium? What can we do to support making the setup/build/strike smoother this year?

Specific logistics:

New! Elysium Arts And Entertainment District: an experienced crew is bringing many new art projects and public spaces. We’ve been organizing for months now and are well underway to new magic on Elysium. We want you to bring art and activities. Join us!

Camping space: We lost both Blues House and Wonderland in the Holland Riverside Marina move. A fairly large amount of “turnkey” camping space is gone. The Barge hosts about 40 or 50 campers, not enough to offset the loss of just these two platforms.

What can we do to replace these spaces? What are some DIY “Bring your own land” options that have not been tried before?  There are some commercial products (inflatable jetski docks for instance) that haven’t been tried at Ephemerisle but could potentially provide some near-turnkey tent space.  What’s a plan for acquiring/testing/modifying these?

DIYsland experimented with many different “built” platform options, and some of this is relevant to increasing available space on Elysium.

Ferry and boats: Ferries have been a major headache since the loss of the rental speedboats 2 years ago. There is a big push to solve this problem and a path forward seems viable. This project will need a lot of help and brains (and money).  It can also be fun:

Boating safety and Boat Guild: Ephemerisle could be a great opportunity to help San Francisco people discover the magic of the Delta, and an easy path to learning boating skills. This is generally not the case right now. Several of us want to change this and to take you out boating and just have fun on the water together year-round, both in the Bay Area and in the Delta. DIYsland prototyped a solid Boat Guild program and had a smooth experience with workboats and ferry, and the same can be done for Elysium. Come to the (boating) dark side, we have fun.