Stop R16 support

Sergey Prokhorov

Jun 23, 2018, 5:24:48 PM6/23/18
to Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
I really would like to discontinue support of epgsql on Erlang R16.

Is there anyone who really need this?

Marc Worrell

Jun 26, 2018, 5:01:59 AM6/26/18
to Sergey Prokhorov, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
I am all for ending R16 support.

More and more open source projects are abandoning R16, and even 17.

In general, supporting the last three major revisions should be ok.
If the code is then still compatible with an older version is a “nice to have” but definitely not a "must have”.

As 21 just came out (wouldn’t use it in production just yet though…) that would make our list of versions to support:

 - 21
 - 20
 - 19
 - 18 (nice to have)
 - 17 (only if it happens to run)

Maps and other enhancements are really good, so that is the way forward.

- Marc

Сергей Прохоров

Jun 26, 2018, 6:12:21 AM6/26/18
to mwor...@me.com, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Thanks for your input, Marc.

Ok, I released 4.1.0 https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/releases/tag/4.1.0 that supports Erlang from R16 to 21 and it expected to be the last release that supports R16.

I plan to drop all the workarounds added because of R16 (eg, `rebar.script`, `-ifdef(HAVE_MAPS)`). Probably would use maps as internal options storage instead of proplists.

Erlang 17 should be ok, because, AFAIK, the only place where we have Erl 17 - specific code is here https://github.com/epgsql/epgsql/blob/master/src/epgsql_oid_db.erl#L151-L195 and it's relatively small and easy.

Marc Worrell

Jun 26, 2018, 6:40:33 AM6/26/18
to Сергей Прохоров, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Sounds good to me.

Maybe add an issue or note that in due time we could remove the ‘FAST_MAPS’ in epgsql_oid_db.erl
Especially as it is just an optimization (bad performance luck for the OTP-17 users…)

- Marc

David Welton

Jun 26, 2018, 2:33:34 PM6/26/18
to Marc Worrell, Sergey Prokhorov, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
Hi,

Fine with ending that too. Perhaps add something in the docs along
the lines of "if you need support for R16, check out 4.1.0" ?
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/

Сергей Прохоров

Jun 26, 2018, 2:56:32 PM6/26/18
to David Welton, Marc Worrell, Erlang epgsql Postgres driver use and development
For example, in rebar3 they just mentioned end of R16 support in release notes:

Сергей Прохоров

Jun 28, 2018, 6:59:43 AM6/28/18