Old EPADD export file

Alexa Goff

Jan 12, 2024, 6:01:43 PMJan 12
to ePADD User Forum
Hello!

I'm trying to navigate opening an EPADD export that was created with an older EPADD version (pre BagIt export) in 2018. I see a note in the 7.0 release that there was a script for converting old export folders to the new specifications, but link to the script doesn't seem to go anywhere useful that I can actually find that script.

Should I either a) find that script or b) deinstall v10.0.6 on my machine and install an old version? Or is this unrecoverable?

Thanks so much for any expertise folks.

Best,
Alexa Goff
University of Oregon
Message has been deleted

Sally DeBauche

Feb 9, 2024, 12:33:41 PMFeb 9
to ePADD User Forum

Hi Alexa,

Thanks for this question! There were some pretty major changes in how ePADD structured data between Version 5 and Version 6 that necessitated that converter tool. It basically restructures the existing data to make it compatible with the new (at that time) version. You can download the v6-bag-converter.jar file here and will include instructions about running it below:

1. Put v6-bag-converter.jar in your home directory

2. Open Command Prompt/Terminal

3. Type the following in command prompt:

java -jar v6-bag-converter.jar -i <Path to directory containing lexicon,session,blobs,index subfolders>

e.g. If I put my appraisal folder in c:\epadd5\, I will type:

java -jar v6-bag-converter.jar -i c:\epadd5\epadd-appraisal\user

The data in this folder has now been restructured so that it is compatible with ePADD version 6. You should be able to open this folder in the current version of ePADD (version 10), but be aware that there are some differences between how data is structured in version 6 and the current version. Most importantly, if you want to use the “export for preservation” function within the Appraisal Module, you will need to create a folder called “exportable assets” in the following location:

epadd-appraisal\user\data\exportableAssets

Typically, this folder is created automatically when you import a collection into ePADD using the current version but would not be present for collections imported with previous versions.

Please write back if you run into any issues getting your collection converted!

Best,

Sally DeBauche
Digital Archivist
Stanford University Libraries