Is there any MOOC courses using EOPL?

Li Weijian

Jul 21, 2014, 5:20:16 AM7/21/14
to eo...@googlegroups.com
I found one video course http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/Videos/ which use PLAI as text book.

I spent a lot of time finish reading the first 4 chapter,  I found chapter 5 is hard to understand, I think watching the video would help me to understand the Continuation-Passing Interpreters better.

Dan Friedman

Jul 21, 2014, 3:26:22 PM7/21/14
to eo...@googlegroups.com
It might help to think about "continuation-passing' interpreter as doing
a certain kind of "let".  So

(rator rand) ==> (eval-exp rator env (lambda (p)
                                                          (eval-exp rand env
                                                             (lambda (arg)
                                                                (p arg k)))))

corresponds to

(let ((p (eval-exp rator env)))
   (let ((arg (eval-exp rand env)))
      (p arg)))

So, what is with the "k" ?

That the rest of the computation, also known as the continuation.

That might help you get the idea a little bit.  Feel free to ask me
questions.

I know of no MOOC for EOPL.

... Dan

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Li Weijian <liweiji...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found one video course http://cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/Videos/ which use PLAI as text book.

I spent a lot of time finish reading the first 4 chapter,  I found chapter 5 is hard to understand, I think watching the video would help me to understand the Continuation-Passing Interpreters better.

Yukang Chen

Jul 29, 2014, 11:21:47 PM7/29/14
to eo...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
    Follow the example of fact, continuation is like storing a computation as a parameter, and do it latter.
    Hope my explain is correct.

    And do the exercises may helpful. This is a list of chapter5 exercises.

    chapter 6 is much more hard to understand, I think it's the most hard chapter!.

Yukang Chen

Jul 29, 2014, 11:27:49 PM7/29/14
to eo...@googlegroups.com
Hi dan,
    Thanks for explanation, any other good book resources for continuation passing style?
    I found it is hard for totally understanding, and I am blocked by some exercises on chapter6,
    such as 6.26 and 6.27.