/ filling up - solved?

vajonam

Dec 5, 2019, 6:52:31 AM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage
looks the reason for this was I was doing some periodic ssh into the box to check on zpool status and also find out iostats.  and the file /var/adm/wtmpx was filling up. I added the following to emp syslocal start.

[ -f ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx -a ! -s /var/adm/wtmpx ] || {
  cat /var/adm/wtmpx >> ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx && >| /var/adm/wtmpx
  chmod 644 ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
}

I think this will work. just posted here so you can add it to your src tree.

vajonam

Dec 5, 2019, 7:10:18 AM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage
hmm.. that doesn't seem to work the file in /var/adm/ keeps growing.. I am just deleteing this for on a timed basis.. need some guidance here, as to what the right way to it is..

Andre Lue

Dec 5, 2019, 7:57:06 AM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of Donovan Kaardal
Hi Vajonam,

That should not be needed unless you are more than 2 versions behind vs release. Check if .exec and /usr/bin/emp has sys_local function. If it does emp sys_local start maps /var to your zpool.

Ran into some version confirmation issues last nite but I aim to have you a new version tonite or by latest weekend.

vajonam

Dec 5, 2019, 9:28:34 AM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage
I am on the latest release as far as I know.

also  the local_logs (start) doesn't include the /var/adm folder..

### local logs
local_logs() {
case "$1" in
start)
local_chk
#set +o noclobber # enable overwrite
[ -f ${pre}/var/adm/messages -a ! -s /var/adm/messages ] || {
  cat /var/adm/messages >> ${pre}/var/adm/messages && >| /var/adm/messages
  chmod 644 ${pre}/var/adm/messages
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/adm/messages
}
[ -f ${pre}/var/log/authlog -a -h /var/log ] || {
  cat /var/log/authlog >> ${pre}/var/log/authlog && >| /var/log/authlog
  chmod 600 ${pre}/var/log/authlog
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/log/authlog
}
[ -f ${pre}/var/log/ipf.log -a -h /var/log ] || {
  cat /var/log/ipf.log >> ${pre}/var/log/ipf.log && >| /var/log/ipf.log
  chmod 600 ${pre}/var/log/ipf.log
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/log/ipf.log
}
[ -f ${pre}/var/log/syslog -a -h /var/log ] || {
  cat /var/log/syslog >> ${pre}/var/log/syslog && >| /var/log/syslog
  chmod 644 ${pre}/var/log/syslog
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/log/syslog
}
[ -f ${pre}/var/smb/smbpasswd ] || {
  (cd /var/smb && find . 2> /dev/null | cpio -pumadv ${pre}/var/smb > /dev/null 2>&1)
}
#set -o noclobber # disable overwrite
[ -h /var/db ] || { rm -rf /var/db && (cd /var && ln -s ..${pre}/.var/db .) }
[ -h /var/log ] || { rm -rf /var/log && (cd /var && ln -s ..${pre}/.var/log .) }
[ -h /var/opt ] || { rm -rf /var/opt && (cd /var && ln -s ..${pre}/.var/opt .) }
[ -h /var/smb ] || { rm -rf /var/smb && (cd /var && ln -s ..${pre}/.var/smb .) }
;;
*) echo "$error_msg $1" ;;
esac
}

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 6:52 AM vajonam via EON ZFS Storage <eonstorage+APn2wQeaGveeVtAFGo6StkzOM-yyat2Qk_yK0TpsH4zA9NaHLqHYt@googlegroups.com> wrote:
looks the reason for this was I was doing some periodic ssh into the box to check on zpool status and also find out iostats.  and the file /var/adm/wtmpx was filling up. I added the following to emp syslocal start.

[ -f ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx -a ! -s /var/adm/wtmpx ] || {
  cat /var/adm/wtmpx >> ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx && >| /var/adm/wtmpx
  chmod 644 ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
}

I think this will work. just posted here so you can add it to your src tree.

Andre Lue

Dec 5, 2019, 1:01:27 PM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
What else in /var/adm besides /var/adm/messages are you logging? Custom? It should probably be pointed to /var/log?

I'll have to double check. I can't remember why I didn't do /var/adm but I think there is a challenging move item involved.

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019, 6:52 AM vajonam via EON ZFS Storage <eonstorage+APn2wQeaGveeVtAFGo6St...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
looks the reason for this was I was doing some periodic ssh into the box to check on zpool status and also find out iostats.  and the file /var/adm/wtmpx was filling up. I added the following to emp syslocal start.

[ -f ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx -a ! -s /var/adm/wtmpx ] || {
  cat /var/adm/wtmpx >> ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx && >| /var/adm/wtmpx
  chmod 644 ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
  chown root:sys ${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx
}

I think this will work. just posted here so you can add it to your src tree.

Manojav Sridhar

Dec 5, 2019, 1:19:28 PM12/5/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of dre2kse
No that’s the only thing. Because I do a ssh in every minute to monitor system health it adds an entry into /vat/adm/wtmpx

2 options that work are

One is to add the entry into logadm and rotate it.
Cleanup in a cron and reset

Event after pointing it over the /usr/local similar to message it still lives in /var. So only two things that seem to work for are the above methods.

On a related note how can I monitor the system remotely ? I use glances which is python based on my Linux boxes.

Andre Lue

Dec 6, 2019, 12:05:08 AM12/6/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
Hi Vajonam,

I've uploaded a Openindiana Hipster 2016 and a OmniOS 2017 image. They should both work with the latest 2019Q3 pkgsrc image. The bootstrap just has to be manually onboarded using wget. I will test a release with a current OmniOS CE version if I get some time. Hope one of the uploaded images brings you some reliable rock solid storage. :)
make sure the following have been run:
1 emp syslocal start
2 emp pkgsrc start

cd /tmp
cd /
xt /tmp/bootstrap-2019Q3-x86_64.tar.gz

Best regards,
0xdre'

Manojav Sridhar

Dec 6, 2019, 9:10:26 AM12/6/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of dre2kse
Dre,

Not sure where you have uploaded. Checked both the downloads on the site and under the blog. Sorry where should I be looking?

Thanks

Andre Lue

Dec 6, 2019, 9:19:36 AM12/6/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam

Andre Lue

Manojav Sridhar

Dec 6, 2019, 12:36:37 PM12/6/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of dre2kse
Did that. No dice. It still fills up /var/adm  right now. I just clean up on a cron every hour.

vajonam

Dec 6, 2019, 3:01:12 PM12/6/19
to EON ZFS Storage
added  to emp

rm -rf /var/adm/wtmpx && (cd /var/adm && ln -s ../..${pre}/var/adm/wtmpx .)

added to logadm.conf

/usr/local/var/adm/wtmpx -C 1 -c -s 100k

so that will be rotated at 100kb .. really that is lots of logins for normal folks.