adding mirrors to a pool or adding more pools?

vajonam

May 26, 2017, 9:11:51 AM5/26/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Got a question. what is the better way to add storage?

zpool create tank c1t0d0 c1t1d0
zpool add tank mirror c1t2d0 c1t2d0

creating a pool with two mirrors?

or creating a new pools everytime?

zpool create tank c1t0d0 c1t1d0
zpool create tank2 c1t2d0 c1t3d0

Andre Lue

May 26, 2017, 9:27:07 AM5/26/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of Donovan Kaardal

Depends on your schema/goal.
Pro 'add'
(assumming enough ports, power n being able to buy same size drives) you gain a new vdev n more performance w each add.
-one pool to maintain
-grow indefinitely till power, ports are out

Pro new pool
-can buy newer, bigger drives in pairs each new pool
-can replace each fail of an old pool and expand when both have been replaced

vajonam

May 26, 2017, 11:33:39 AM5/26/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Think my main goal is have resilience to failures. i.e. hard drives. thinking about adding it to a pool seems like putting all your eggs in 1 basket. if you have a problem with something then you cant import the pool, while splitting up means you can import parts of the pool.. think I will stick with the new pool model.

is there way to do a unionfs in solaris where I behind the scene I can link the folders? but they are distinct pools? that way I dont have to maintain multiple exports and mount points etc.