Re: [EON Storage] check if any zfs filesystem exists on hd - HOWTO?

Geoff Matters

Oct 2, 2022, 2:59:30 PM10/2/22
to eonst...@googlegroups.com
I find that zpool v28 created on 2011-era EON oi_151a (illumos f342etc) is invisible to other systems, including openzfs and even 2015-era EON oi_151a9 (illumos 52e13etc).

zpool create npool c5t5d0

Even after zpool export and power cycle, zdb -l /dev/dsk/c5t5d0 does not show any zfs info in the labels (prints 'failed to unpack label' 4 times).

Whereas if I create a zpool v5000 on 2015-era EON zdb -l shows a bunch of pool metadata

How is pool metadata stored on the drive in v28? Why can't a slightly newer EON see it? Is there any way to ensure that ZFS created on 2011-era can be migrated to other systems?

(I do not want to risk an in-place upgrade of the 2011-era EON to a newer version, especially in light of my inability to migrate pools from that NAS to other systems).

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 12:31:24 PM EDT, ipanini via EON ZFS Storage <eonstorage+noreply-apn2wqfnxqbzc...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Thanks Andre,

I've tried zpool import -a but it doesn't show anything.
The idea of looking at the partition table has also crossed my mind.

Would you mind looking into the method with format to look at efi or smc label?
I assume smc is related to slices?

I'm way too unfamiliar with osol, so I'd rather wait a bit longer to play sure.
I would be surprised finding these disks containing nothing...

Erwin

On Wednesday, March 26, 2014 12:16:40 AM UTC+1, dre2kse wrote:

Try zpool import -a
If it was part of a pool it will return a related mesg.
There is also a method with format and looking at a efi or smc label but I'd have to try it to say

On Mar 25, 2014 3:25 PM, "ipanini via EON ZFS Storage" <eonstorage+noreply- APn2wQfNxQbZClP7D4f7k_ gdCro2akEGdrbym5yyNS3wW@ googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi,

I'm actually wondering if there's any foolproof method to find out whether a harddrive has been used with / for zfs?
I've tried zfs import and zfs list (after having made sure eon sees the disks) - but nothing shows up.
I've also booted up ubuntu live and run gparted, but no partitions seem to exist.

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin

Geoff Matters

Oct 2, 2022, 5:58:11 PM10/2/22
to eonst...@googlegroups.com
The drive connected directly to SATA in my old EON presents as block size 512. Connected via USB enclosure to new EON it presents as block size 4096. In either case the full disk space seems to be available, but the slice table and other format information doesn't translate.

I was able to work around it by using the enclosure with the old eon, but it is much much slower than a direct SATA connection. I don't know if there is any way to tell solaris to use a block size of 4096 to talk to the drive, that would allow the data written to be consistent when read back via the enclosure.