eon upgrade question

vajonam

May 24, 2017, 4:44:12 PM5/24/17
to EON ZFS Storage
dre2kse,

I have had eon running for sometime, and really haven't touched it, i am now upgrading a case and adding some hot swap bays etc, and thought it be a good time to upgrade the base image to the latest.

SunOS SEVERNAME 5.11 oi_151a i86pc i386 i86p

is what I am running.

  1. exec transporter.sh -i /path/to.iso -b /path/to_backup/ -d /mnt/eon0
    1. as I understand this will copy the contents of the iso including the new image as well as the .backup and .exec files.
    2. then i need to re-edit the .backup and .exec files to represent any changes i have made in my system, can i use the old .backup and .exec files instead, really transporter shouldn't be overwriting my configuration should it?
  2. run updimg.sh /mnt/eon0, to make sure my files including mpt_sas driver etc are copied over to the new image, making sure the exclude the setup, install.sh and updimg.sh from the .backup file and re-adding it later?
  3. cross fingers and re-boot.

Can you confirm that I have it right?

thanks

Andre Lue

May 24, 2017, 6:08:44 PM5/24/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
Yes, that sounds right. Good to see you still around Vajonam. I would skip/comment certain files in .backup (for example don't want to copy older /bin/rail over the new one, /etc/.bashrc etc). Or use the newer versions where possible. Everything else seems correct.

Give the new pkgsrc binkit a shot also(15000+ pkgs). Move your old binkit to a backup location so you can roll backup if there are any showstoppers.

regards

vajonam

May 24, 2017, 9:46:09 PM5/24/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Cool. Thanks.

Re: new binkit not sure where to get it, do I just use the new rail install binkit on my first reboot with the new image? looks like things have changed and I haven't kept up..

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:44 PM, vajonam via EON ZFS Storage <eonstorage+APn2wQeaGveeVtAFGo6StkzOM-yyat2Qk_yK0TpsH4zA9NaHLqHYt@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Andre Lue

May 24, 2017, 10:09:12 PM5/24/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of Donovan Kaardal

See the link for howto http://eonstorage.blogspot.com/2016/11/eon-binary-kit-upgrade-to-pkgsrc_11.html?m=1

The new rail will fetch the pkgsrc bootstrap.

Let me know if you run into issues

vajonam

May 25, 2017, 9:08:01 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Disaster!

I rebuilt my case moving all my HD's and stuff over to a new Norco RPC-2224 case. And now nothing really works. One pool wont import it says invalid vdev configuration, not sure what changed.

I did move all the HD's over from SATA ports to SAS controller. Before I has some one SATA, some on 3 controllers.

Other pool says one more more devices are missing.. not sure why it can't see the device! format -e or hdadm display all seems to show me all the devices!  I am f-ed!

On Wednesday, May 24, 2017 at 10:09:12 PM UTC-4, dre2kse wrote:

See the link for howto http://eonstorage.blogspot.com/2016/11/eon-binary-kit-upgrade-to-pkgsrc_11.html?m=1

The new rail will fetch the pkgsrc bootstrap.

Let me know if you run into issues

Andre Lue

May 25, 2017, 10:05:32 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of Donovan Kaardal

Did the pool have any forced/custom/weird zpool setup or mismatched drive size mix to begin with?

Did you boot new hardware with new build, that produced the errors? If yes I would upgrade key n make sure it boot n imports on old hw first. Do you have the old key to boot on the old hw?

What does zdb -l /dev/dsk/cxtxdxsx for each drive show?

What does zpool status show?

vajonam

May 25, 2017, 10:38:51 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage
I haven't upgraded the software, same hardware just moved some drives around which I thought was going to be okay. but I guess ZFS isn't that resilient to hardware changes after all.. am I wrong.

Going back to older cables and stuff I have gotten 5 of my 6 pools back. The last one is being stubron and wont import, with a cannot import 'mojave': one or more devices is currently unavailable

Here is the pastebin for one of the drives that's part of the pool called mojave, https://pastebin.com/L6tmB6hX

I am now going to try and move those drives back to the controller in which they were attached to.

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:05:32 PM UTC-4, dre2kse wrote:

Did the pool have any forced/custom/weird zpool setup or mismatched drive size mix to begin with?

Did you boot new hardware with new build, that produced the errors? If yes I would upgrade key n make sure it boot n imports on old hw first. Do you have the old key to boot on the old hw?

What does zdb -l /dev/dsk/cxtxdxsx for each drive show?

What does zpool status show?

vajonam

May 25, 2017, 10:51:31 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Okay that worked.

I put each pool back on the controller it was on to begin with seems to work. My issues as my system grew, i first started with SATA, then one 8port raid card and then one more. So the newer pools were on the nice fast card while the older ones was on the slower cards. I wanted to move as many pools to the newer hardware as possible.

So the question is should I be able to move disks around various controllers on the same system? if so I do an export before I import it back?

Thanks for your pointers! and just confidence in the system.

Andre Lue

May 25, 2017, 10:59:48 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of Donovan Kaardal

ZFS should be controller independent of hw n controller, position once you have all the disk members. Not sure, what controller is label 2, 3 on from your pastebin , they could not be read which prob caused your issue?

On May 25, 2017 10:51 PM, "vajonam via EON ZFS Storage" <eonstorage+APn2wQeaGveeVtAFGo6St...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Okay that worked.
>
> I put each pool back on the controller it was on to begin with seems to work. My issues as my system grew, i first started with SATA, then one 8port raid card and then one more. So the newer pools were on the nice fast card while the older ones was on the slower cards. I wanted to move as many pools to the newer hardware as possible.
>
> So the question is should I be able to move disks around various controllers on the same system? if so I do an export before I import it back?

> Thanks for your pointers! and just confidence in the system.
>

> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:38:51 PM UTC-4, vajonam wrote:
>>
>> I haven't upgraded the software, same hardware just moved some drives around which I thought was going to be okay. but I guess ZFS isn't that resilient to hardware changes after all.. am I wrong.
>>
>> Going back to older cables and stuff I have gotten 5 of my 6 pools back. The last one is being stubron and wont import, with a cannot import 'mojave': one or more devices is currently unavailable
>>
>> Here is the pastebin for one of the drives that's part of the pool called mojave, https://pastebin.com/L6tmB6hX
>>
>> I am now going to try and move those drives back to the controller in which they were attached to.
>>

>> On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:05:32 PM UTC-4, dre2kse wrote:
>>>
>>> Did the pool have any forced/custom/weird zpool setup or mismatched drive size mix to begin with?
>>>
>>> Did you boot new hardware with new build, that produced the errors? If yes I would upgrade key n make sure it boot n imports on old hw first. Do you have the old key to boot on the old hw?
>>>
>>> What does zdb -l /dev/dsk/cxtxdxsx for each drive show?
>>>
>>> What does zpool status show?

vajonam

May 25, 2017, 11:11:27 PM5/25/17
to EON ZFS Storage

Here are all my disks https://pastebin.com/Hf3Z9YWg

Here are my controllers https://pastebin.com/fhPpWfCp

Possibly the mpt_sas2 drivers naming is messing with things. as it goes crom cXtXdX to cXtXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXdX  type name.

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:59:48 PM UTC-4, dre2kse wrote:

ZFS should be controller independent of hw n controller, position once you have all the disk members. Not sure, what controller is label 2, 3 on from your pastebin , they could not be read which prob caused your issue?

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 1:03:53 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Did the upgrade, it came back but didn't do any of the backups that I needed, also the backup I location is specified isn't mountable because the mpt_sas driver is not loaded... where I can I get that from now? none of the links have it? I need the x64 version of them mpt_sas diver please if you can have a link that would be awsome!

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 2:04:36 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Also something happened to root password, think I have to roll back to a backup but stilll need the mpt_sas driver.. trying to move the drives to mpt controller instead....aargh!

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 3:01:56 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
when i move the two disks from the mpt_sas to the mpt controller and do an import i get a kernel oops and reboots, i cant capture the output.. now i am in some serious trouble i think..

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 3:17:23 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
I copied the mpt_sas from the Hipster release..

This is what I am seeing on bootup, mpt_sas is no longer loading anything.

kobj_load_module: mpt_sas read header failed

Manojav Sridhar

May 29, 2017, 3:32:43 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
May 29 19:31:11 eon genunix: [ID 538349 kern.notice] kobj_read_file: z_uncompress failed, error code : 0xfffffffb
May 29 19:31:11 eon genunix: [ID 689466 kern.notice] kobj_load_module: mpt_sas read header failed

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 4:41:42 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
I was able to import the pool using the onboard sata, which is good allowed me roll back with transporter.sh! so I am back in biz with the old stick.

i was able to do a clean move, this time editing the .backup after transporter.sh and saving the mpt_sas drivers. but I noticed a number of issues.
  • all the pools imported, but only 2 pools maintained the sharenfs=on, which was lost again on reboot. not sure what is going on there.
  • rail is broken and cant download bin kit or get my mysql running.
please let know how fix these?

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 3:32:43 PM UTC-4, vajonam wrote:
May 29 19:31:11 eon genunix: [ID 538349 kern.notice] kobj_read_file: z_uncompress failed, error code : 0xfffffffb
May 29 19:31:11 eon genunix: [ID 689466 kern.notice] kobj_load_module: mpt_sas read header failed

Andre Lue

May 29, 2017, 4:54:14 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
To avoid driver incompatibility issues, it's best if you re-use/copy the driver from your older version which is also OI bloodline. You will encounter errors as above if its linked against something different.

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 5:13:40 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Any thoughts on the missing zfs sharenfs=on mounts on certain pools?

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 4:54:14 PM UTC-4, dre2kse wrote:
To avoid driver incompatibility issues, it's best if you re-use/copy the driver from your older version which is also OI bloodline. You will encounter errors as above if its linked against something different.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/eonstorage.

Andre Lue

May 29, 2017, 5:20:29 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
No. That info should be kept on disk members in the metadata as far as I know. Since you mention its shows sometimes, I suspect something else may be going on.

Did you upgrade pool and zfs versions with each upgrade of EON or are you running the initial zpool and zfs version?

Manojav Sridhar

Andre Lue

May 29, 2017, 5:40:03 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
That's what I suspected. It's possibly related to something there. I would re-issue the sharenfs commands and wait until you have stabilized everything before doing any zpool or zfs upgrades.

vajonam

May 29, 2017, 5:44:08 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage
Yup okay, I will do that. I am still having some issues with the binkit install That is my zdb -C, https://pastebin.com/DJYNVCcQ

So your suggest I just do the sharenfs on reboot for now, and once I have all the other bits try the zpool upgrade?

Andre Lue

May 29, 2017, 5:51:00 PM5/29/17
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
Don't do the upgrade until you have stabilized eon on the new hardware and running stable for a while.

Paste the output or errors back to the rail thread