Eon future Base development

Jesus Sandoval

Aug 9, 2015, 11:56:30 AM8/9/15
to EON ZFS Storage
Hi, great to see a new release on EON. Thanks André.

Have you considered SmartOS like a base distrib for EON?

I don't know the internals but it looks like EON is easier to start from SmartOS than a full OS distribution (I like Omnios too).

I mean SmartOS is already an in memory distribution.
I don't like the lack of options in the smartOS configuration (having no choice for the zpool creation at install, just mirror or raidz1). But I think just have to polish the installation script.

I like the idea to persist the configuration (like a JSON file) in the zpool with a special name (in SmartOS is called zones, en EON could be EON or EON_config).
Besides  the configuration can be persisted too in the USB Stick and EON searches first in the zpool if not found it takes it from the boot device.

If everything fails, SmartOS have a boot option to just boot the OS and manually I can work on the machine (importing the pool or anything else)

The additional things that EON does like torrent clients etc, can be in one zone or additional zones for that purpose.

Anyway If SmartOS is not a good base choice, I'm curios tho know about the reasons.

Thanks again

dre2kse

Nov 23, 2015, 4:34:33 PM11/23/15
to EON ZFS Storage
It takes too much(time, QA, development resources) to compile EON from scratch using Illumos. So it's built using pkg install with OI repositories. I intend to use OmniOS repos going forward. I'm not sure how to roll my own SmartOS from scratch, and wouldn't be opposed to taking a look, if you know how.