eon not actively being worked on ?

vajonam

Sep 1, 2019, 2:27:22 PM9/1/19
to EON ZFS Storage
dre2ske,

is it safe to assume that eon is no longer being developed? I am probably better of switching to ubuntu and using ZoL for the ZFS support, what are you thoughts here? my hardware is currently about 9 years old and is due an upgrade. thinking of doing a reset with software as well..

vajonam.

Andre Lue

Sep 2, 2019, 6:43:47 PM9/2/19
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of vajonam
I still make development images when I get some time but those versus a tested for general audience release requires more time. I have a omniOS and omniOS CE release. They require more testing and different matching pkgsrc release, dropbox mapping. I'll see what I can do for you with the omniOS release.

The path to ubuntu zfs is an option but you will need to make some changes. The cifs server is smaba and you would have to adapt administration to config file. Same for NFS. You'd have to run from a hd install and I'm not sure if the hd or mobo dies if it will transfer seamlessly to new hd. Just some things to consider and test before comitting to the leap with your data. Hope that helps.

AveryFreeman

Mar 10, 2020, 4:29:10 PM3/10/20
to EON ZFS Storage
I currently use both OmniOS and Ubuntu ZoL - both separate install for server and "native" desktop zfs installer. Cifs/samba has gotten better on Ubuntu, but still awful compared to OmniOS. Handling of small files, especially when zvol over 40% full is VERY slow - even on 3000+Mbps NVMe. IMO Illumos zfs works as it should, ZoL not ready for prime time. Run OpenIndiana (rolling) or OmniOS (stable release), or EON (of course!). Give ZoL another few years yet.

Manojav Sridhar

Mar 10, 2020, 5:02:56 PM3/10/20
to EON ZFS Storage on behalf of AveryFreeman
Wow, just int time information I was ready to jumpship.. I . am in the middle of upgrading my image. I will stick with OmniOS and EONfor some more time.