Using progressively larger backbones and larger mutant polymerases for DNA synthesis

Bryan Bishop

Jul 7, 2015, 3:56:46 PM7/7/15
to enzymatic...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Some of the DNA alternatives like XNA and GNA offer some interesting options. Perhaps it would be possible to find some DNA-equivalent system with significantly larger components. Unfortunately there are probably some scaling limits to the size of a polymerase enzyme. Larger "nucleotides" would be useful because they would be easier to physically manipulate and synthesis could be much easier by physically moving larger building blocks around. We'd need something on the order of 0.1 microns or something else we can physically grab.