Proposal to move Enzo repo to github

Britton Smith

May 14, 2018, 4:01:41 PM5/14/18
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

At the Enzo developers workshop, going on today through Wednesday, we
discussed the possibility of moving the main Enzo code repository from
bitbucket.org to github.com (and from mercurial to git). This proposal was
heavily supported by those in the room.

The main reasons identified were:

 - We have reason to believe that bitbucket will be ending support for
   Mercurial repositories at some point in the medium future. There
   are effectively no other good solutions for hosting Mercurial
   repos.

 - Github's testing infrastructure works much better with our
   fork-based development model. Currently, on bitbucket, everyone
   needs to individually enable testing and we each have a limited
   number of testing minutes per month. On github, we simply need to
   enable testing for the main repo and all issued PRs will
   automatically be tested with no time limits. There is a limit on
   the number of simultaneously running tests, but any tests over the
   limit are simply queued and run later.

 - Git is more widely used (particularly in astronomy).

The yt project recently made this move and it was relatively painless,
with most of the pain coming from learning git itself. Below are
answers to some of the main questions that were considered:

Q: What needs to change in the codebase?

A: The main changes that need to be made to the source are 1)
replacing some internal machinery that uses mercurial to get version
information with git and 2) making a new configuration file that works
with travis-ci, the main testing infrastructure for github. We would
also add some documentation detailing how one's workflow would change.

Q: What happens with my fork on bitbucket?

A: The process of moving one's fork should be relatively
straightforward. After the main repo is moved, you can create a new
fork on github and use the "hggit" Mercurial extension to push the
work from your old bitbucket fork to your new github fork. Explicit
documentation to do this will be provided.

Q: What is the timescale of this move?

A: We would try to get started here at the workshop, but the whole process would likely take a month or two.

Q: What will happen to the old pull request discussions on Bitbucket?

A: The bitbucket Enzo repository will still exist and we will not take down the old pull requests. We will also scrape the pull request data, including discussions and comments, and store them. If bitbucket decides to remove the Enzo repository in the future we will make the old pull request discussions available in a more presentable format.

The developer workshop will run through Wednesday and it would be
useful to get the ball rolling here, IF we decide it's what we want to
do. However, we want to consider the everyone’s opinion and not just
the people who could make it to the workshop.  If you have any objections
to this move, please reply to this email by Wednesday morning (10 AM EST).

Thanks!
Britton, on behalf of those at the workshop

Matthew Turk

May 14, 2018, 4:02:55 PM5/14/18
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1, on behalf of Matt who is not at the workshop.
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM Britton Smith <britto...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Britton Smith

May 14, 2018, 4:46:42 PM5/14/18
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Matt! We wish you were here!

> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/enzo-dev.

Cameron Hummels

May 15, 2018, 12:03:56 PM5/15/18
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1 on this.  I think moving to git/github was beneficial to the yt and trident communities.  I'm happy to see Enzo making the same transition.  Good luck with everything this week!

Cameron
Cameron Hummels
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Astronomy
California Institute of Technology

Britton Smith

May 15, 2018, 2:55:06 PM5/15/18
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Cameron!  We wish you were here, too!

Brian O'Shea

Feb 12, 2019, 7:59:39 PM2/12/19
to enzo-dev
Hi all,

I'm writing to follow up on the proposal to move Enzo development to git+GitHub.  Britton, John, and I were discussing this and we believe that it's time to make this move.  There are only a handful of extant pull requests, and Mercurial's support for the tools to smoothly transition to git are deteriorating (based on some recent experiences we've had with Enzo-E).  There was also wide support for the move when Britton proposed it last May.  Given the circumstances, we propose to make this move within the next couple of weeks, after we merge these few PRs.  This process will be taken care of by one of us (most likely Britton), and the entire repository's history will be moved.  We will also move the outstanding issues in Enzo.  Your existing forks can be easily moved to git and GitHub, and we will provide detailed instructions for doing so.  Pull requests on GitHub are handled in a similar manner as on BitBucket, and if you intend to issue a PR after that the process will be similar.

If you have strong feelings about this change, either positive or negative, please respond to this email to share those as soon as possible.  If a significant majority of developers are in favor of this transition happening soon, we will move forward in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Regards,
Brian

D Collins

Feb 12, 2019, 8:15:36 PM2/12/19
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
I'm in favor. I've had several new grads interested in projects recently, but my Starter Pack still has hginit as the first bullet.
Thanks in advance for y'all's skills and expertise making this smooth. I'm happy to help where I'm able.

Sent from my pocket by accident.

Greg Bryan

Feb 12, 2019, 10:49:32 PM2/12/19
to enzo...@googlegroups.com
+1

Brian O'Shea

Feb 18, 2019, 3:33:23 PM2/18/19
to enzo-dev
Just following up:  any objections?  Please let us know now, if so!