*[Enwl-eng] All eyes on Germany

1 view

ENWLine

May 7, 2021, 9:57:42 AMMay 7
to "ENWL-uni"

Countries are calling for the open production of COVID-19 vaccines. European leaders are scrambling to not be left behind. But all the dominos need to fall for this to succeed and still Angela Merkel is silent.

Hi,

This is huge – the United States has opened the door to fight COVID-19 everywhere. [1] Right now, people in places like India are struggling to cope as record rises in cases are crippling lives, opening up the production of vaccines could deliver millions more life saving doses. [2]

It’s the first time the US has stood up to big pharma. The question is whether Europe will now brave up and do the same. Already we’ve seen commitments from Spain and France, but crucially Angela Merkel of Germany has yet to weigh in. [3] She has said that "no one is safe until everyone is safe". And yet she still hasn't moved – nothing is a done deal yet.

Today the issue is all over the headlines but that could all change by Saturday when EU leaders meet with the Indian Prime Minister at the EU-India Summit. If thousands of us add our voices to the noise we can keep the issue alive and impossible to ignore.

So, will you ask Angela Merkel to put tackling COVID-19 before the profits of the pharma companies and join the plan to open up vaccine production?

Yes, count me in!

The pandemic has been a boon for big pharma – with 40 new billionaires created so far! [4] All because they have the exclusive right to produce the vaccines they’ve developed.

In normal times, "intellectual property" rights keep products safe from competitors. Yet, these are not normal times, and they’ve done everything to protect corporate competition ahead of saving peoples’ lives.

With the statement from the US, the dominos are starting to fall. European leaders are scrambling to not be left behind. But all the dominos need to fall for this to succeed and still Angela Merkel is silent. [5]

As the issue fades from the headlines, the space will open up for big pharma to lobby politicians. Knowing they only need one country to stall the move, they’ll pour their money into briefings and meetings.

Luckily, we’ve got something their money can’t buy. Together we’re a community of a million Europeans who can all add our voice and define the debate. But to be heard, we have to speak up.

Vladimir, can you spare a minute to add your name to the call for Angela Merkel to back opening up vaccine production?

Yes, count me in!

Thanks for being a part of this,
David (London), Annemarie (Berlin), Thomas (Brussels), Alexandre (Marseille) and the WeMove Europe team

PS: They'll tell us that opening production access won't be enough. That transferring knowledge takes too much time to scale. But know the truth: this pandemic isn’t going anywhere fast and acting together is our best chance of long-term success. Will you help us scale up the fight against covid and sign the petition now?