Just uploaded the Socap2008 presentation

MarcD

Oct 24, 2008, 7:28:53 PM10/24/08
to Entrepreneur Commons WorkGroup
This is the presentation I did at Socap 2008, to which I have added
some comments as the slide are otherwise mostly graphics.
http://groups.google.com/group/entreco/web/Socap2008%20-%20with%20comments.pdf

MarcD

Oct 24, 2008, 7:33:10 PM10/24/08
to Entrepreneur Commons WorkGroup
Better url is http://tinyurl.com/6oxnqu

On Oct 24, 4:28 pm, MarcD <mdang...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the presentation I did at Socap 2008, to which I have added
> some comments as the slide are otherwise mostly graphics.http://groups.google.com/group/entreco/web/Socap2008%20-%20with%20com...

Dominique Lahaix

Oct 24, 2008, 8:44:45 PM10/24/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com
This pres in excellent !. Wish I could do similar ones for my business ;-)
Dominique

Marc Dangeard

Oct 24, 2008, 9:12:15 PM10/24/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com
thank you :-)
My friend Erik Adigard (www.madxs.com) helped me with the story
telling and the graphics, and it makes a difference having an
excellent designer involved in the process. Something every business
needs to consider at some point, and the sooner the better...

--
Marc Dangeard - ma...@dangeard.com
Blog: http://bizcoach.blogspot.com

Pierre

Oct 24, 2008, 11:39:18 PM10/24/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations for the presentation, one of the best I ever saw.

I do think that the value added of Entrepreneur Commons is more in coaching (kind of Business Booster) than funding.

In the North of France, we have "Nord Entreprendre" that provides: coaching of start-up entrepreneurs, networking and coaching. Members of Nord Entreprendre are:

-         Start-up entrepreneurs selected and coached

-         Managers that are OK to open their network to coached entrepreneurs: each time you are requested, you should provide the entrepreneur with 3 potentiel customer contacts

-         Managers that are OK to coach one entrepreneur: the principle is to meet the entrepreneur each month during 3 years. It is quite demanding but successful since 95% of the start-up are alive beyond 3 years.

Maybe some ideas to capitalize for Entrepreneur Commons.

Best,

Pierre

Marc Dangeard

Oct 25, 2008, 12:06:37 AM10/25/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing this info.
I think that mentoring is a big part of the success of the network, but I also see a lot of association offering mentoring and there is one thing missing in the end: cash to get started or go one level up.
This is the whole point of the Entrepreneur Commons, to go this extra step. I expect actually that we will partner with existing mentoring groups who can recommend entrepreneurs for loans. The wider the input base, the better the program, and the more chances of establishing a successful blue print we have.

Elie W. Asmar

Oct 25, 2008, 3:13:03 PM10/25/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com

or haviv

Oct 26, 2008, 10:09:48 PM10/26/08
to ent...@googlegroups.com
This is great, I look forward to our next meeting on the 5th. The presentation looks great, thanks for a great job Marc.

--
Or H.

www.Universeye.com - Bringing the NET to your WORK
Meet. Collaborate. Network.

Office: 1866 856 0696
Cell: 415 299 7609

Phil45

Oct 27, 2008, 1:13:22 PM10/27/08
to Entrepreneur Commons WorkGroup
Marc,

This is a great presentation. Congrats to your friend Erik (and you)

I share your view. EC is more (has to be more, to my opinion) than a
mentoring group.

However, although these notions are present in it, two important
elements that make Entrepreneur Commons unique are in my view not
enough emphasized in the presentation :
1. EC is not INVESTING, it is LENDING funds. It radically changes the
picture of contributing to new ventures because :
a) the investor is taking less risks (hence is more inclined
to put funds at the disposal of EC)
b) the investor is morally committed to help the new venture
(same way as business angel) but is not "disturbing" the
entrepreneur
2. EC has a Social role of job's creation. Personnally, I prefer to
have the perspective of funding 10 ventures which will create 150 jobs
in 3 years with a "reduced" ROI but a low failure rate rather than 5
of which 3 will collapse, 1 will just survive and 1 will be very
succesfull.... and will create 100 jobs
Somewhere in the documents of this Group, there is a statement that
has been key for me being attracted :
A lot of good businesses never concretize because they are not enough
"sexy" for either the VCs nor the BAs (and do not come from people
having rich family)... and still too risky for a bank to help.
To me, EC has to take this position for businesses which are :
- Too small or not enough shiny to attract VCs and/or BAs
- Too risky (because it is new and without history) for a bank

I wish to know if others share my views in this Group.... reactions
have been very few so far

Another question : since I am not based in the US but in France, what
are the plans there ? I saw the link with your partners, Marc, but, if
any concrete steps are to be conducted in France, is it the intention
that this entity will be the "EC France" ?

I believe EC is coming at the right moment, we need to make it happen,
for us and our community.

Thanks for your answers.

Best regards
Philippe

On 25 oct, 05:06, "Marc Dangeard" <m...@dangeard.com> wrote:
> Thank you for sharing this info.I think that mentoring is a big part of the
> > Better url ishttp://tinyurl.com/6oxnqu
>
> > On Oct 24, 4:28 pm, MarcD <mdang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > This is the presentation I did at Socap 2008, to which I have added
>
> > > some comments as the slide are otherwise mostly graphics.
> >http://groups.google.com/group/entreco/web/Socap2008%20-%20with%20com...
>
> --
> Marc Dangeard - m...@dangeard.com
> Blog:http://bizcoach.blogspot.com
> AIM/Gizmo/Skype/Twitter: mdangear
> Phone US: +1 415 287 7654 - cell +1 415 250 5438
> Phone FR: +33 1 79 97 69 60 - cell +33 6 31 45 98 45- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -
>
> - Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

MarcD

Oct 28, 2008, 1:32:55 AM10/28/08
to Entrepreneur Commons WorkGroup
Thank you for the feedback, you bring up very good points, which are
mentioned in the presentation when I do the talk even though they are
not obvious in the PPT:
- loans instead of equity create a very different and much healthier
relationship between the Lender and the Borrower, including alignment
of interest to generate cash asap (as opposed to pushing for bigger
returns later on). If the web20 companies that are closing or
streamlining now had the idea of generating cash from the beginning
instead of going for eyeballs we may have had much less of a web20
bubble for example.
- And then it is true that I should emphasize the additional benefit
of having more jobs created from many not so hot startup rather than
from a few chosen ones.

Regarding France, my partners at Melcion are strongly supporting the
project, and we are looking for motivated entrepreneurs and investors
to start organizing an EC France. I have had a few entrepreneurs
express interest, so ideally at some point one of you will pick up the
ball and start running with it. The other route is to partner with
existing organization that provide the mentoring but not the funding,
and then work with them to identify their champions that should get
loans. The picture there on the investor side is slightly different
because of the TEPA law that gives an incentive to invest in startup
through equity, but there are ways to work within this context, and we
can discuss this further if you like.