curious...United States of Africa????

beninmwangi

Jul 3, 2007, 1:09:23 PM7/3/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
Hi all:

I'm just curious to hear anyones thoughts on the African Union Summit
taking place, right now, in Accra Ghana. The focus is on creating a
United States of Africa. I at first had trouble believing that they
were serious, but after digging deeper can see that they are very
serious and have been taking baby steps towards the aim since the AU's
inception in 2001.

Do you think this is practical or feasible? I tend to favor a tighter
federation than what they have now, but something less than an actual
united states of Africa. I still see some value in the 53 nations
remaing sovereign. However, economically speaking it seems like it
might spur much more cross continental trade and create a mega trade
bloc...but somehow, I'm still torn on the issue and am sure that you
must have some cool points of view on this one...

-Benin

omodudu omodudu

Jul 3, 2007, 1:13:20 PM7/3/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Just made a  mini post on altnigeria.com

ken teyie

Jul 4, 2007, 1:22:38 AM7/4/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Benin, your curiosity about the US of Africa is
allowed given that not all nations are taking a common
stand on the issue. The fact that Each African country
has its own view of what or when the USA should be
constituted, then it raises some eye brows. Picture
this: Africa has failed to really manage smaller
organisations (compared to the intended USA) such as
OAU and the AU and still there are alot of groupings
in the name of regional blocking such as the COMESA or
SADC all of which always seem to be having trouble
with each other. As n aexample, in East Africa,
Tanzania happens to be slidly in SADC while Kenya and
Uganda are in COMESA, which has really slowed down
business development in the Region.
Despite all this pitfalls I belive that if implemented
properly, then the US of Africa may work.
Branded

--- beninmwangi <thebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

beninmwangi

Jul 5, 2007, 1:19:53 AM7/5/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
Thanks Ken, will you be writing anything about it on smartbiz africa?

ken teyie

Jul 5, 2007, 1:28:49 AM7/5/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Yes will be writing about it in the next issue of the
african Executive (www.africanexecutive.com) because
of its panafrican outlook.
Thanks.

--- beninmwangi <thebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Life is a choice and a trade off. What you do today, will determine your tomorrow. Make money and more money today, it makes the world go round.

BUSINESS IN FOCUS
Read more about business on: http://businessinfocus.blogspot.com

http://tv.yahoo.com/

ken teyie

Jul 5, 2007, 4:54:10 AM7/5/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Actually, this weeks editorial of the
www.africanexecutive.com looked at this specific topic
(United States of Africa: Ordinary Citizens Should
Take Centre Stage). You can read more about it by
following the attached link.
http://www.africanexecutive.com/modules/magazine/sections.php?magazine=130&sections=16

Juergen Nagler

Jul 9, 2007, 7:25:28 AM7/9/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I think it's a great idea. As a young European I see what benefits the European Union brings, foremost peace. I sincerely believe in cooperation and dialogue and a 'Union' can be an invaluable platform for so.

Nonetheless, the Europens (speaking as a group here, despite the differences between Germans, English and so on) came a long way and had learn their hard lessons from two world wars etc... Therefore, I am not sure how realistic an US of Africa is but believe in it's inspirational value.

Best,
Juergen

beninmwangi

Jul 9, 2007, 10:22:40 AM7/9/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
Ken, you are right there are roughly 14 such groupings and you raise
interesting points about someo countries sharing multiple memberships-
but I think that the East Africa Community operates very well-the only
issue that causes strife amongst its members is having a single
president (which I think they don't need anyway). Outside of this the
countries have made it work before. It fell apart earlier because of
Idi Amin, I think that former Tanzanian Pres. Julius Nyerere. pulled
out in protest of Amin's presence in the community-afterwards the
group splintered out.

Anyhow..thanks for enlivening the conversation.