Re: Grand Debate on Freedom of Africa in terms economics & Financial Freedom just Started...

Benin "Mwangi"

Jul 28, 2007, 9:28:49 PM7/28/07
to sowa...@yahoo.com, enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
Mr Sow,

This is a great discussion Mr. Ogo Sow, AKA Mr. Africa, thanks for inviting me.  I have also invited others by adding them (in the bcc field )to this message, so that if they would like to participate, they can just jump in.

Lets look at a statement made by former Mali President and current Chairman of the Commission of the African Union (AU), Mr. Alpha Oumar Konare, "This speech was not the kind of break we were hoping for".  So why was AU Chairman Mr. Konare upset?  What was he expecting to hear from the French President Mr. Sarkozy?  Well let's look at the statement that the French President made for a possible answer.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy says about Africa should face up to its own problems he says, "Do you want to end the arbitrary corruption, violence? That money is invested instead of being embezzled. Do you want the rule of law?"  Ok, in and of itself, what he is saying makes sense.  However, maybe Mr. Konare felt that for a French President to say it was a bit hypocritical.  Right now if we were to count the Western Sahara as a country, Africa has 54 countries.  Throughout the last 15 years the continent, at any given time, the continent has almost consistently seen six out of her 54 nations in serious trouble.   If you look at some of the nations which have had large scale conflicts over the last fifteen years, how many of these nations are in Francophone Africa?  Let's try to find out...in the last fifteen years the following African nations have had serious issues or conflicts affecting them-Cote d'Ivoire,  Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Chad, Guinea-Conakry, Central African Republic, Burundi, Algeria, Liberia, Sierre Leone, Angola, Somalia, Zimbabwe, and Eritrea.  Eight out of these fourteen countries share heavy French influence as a commonality.  Now this is may not be by design, but it is difficult to ignore this trend.  So if the French President says that France will be an unwavering friend, then it seems that accompanying that friendship would be a public policy toward Africa should somehow address this issue, rather than sweep it underneath the rug. However, this did not seem to be the case, judging from the tone of Mr. Sarkozy's speech and French public policy.  Maybe this is why Mr. Konare was unhappy.

Me personally, I would like to say that in spite of major problems affecting a small group of countries on the continent, since the 1990's amazing things have been happening across different regions of the continent.  Very notably many of these achievements have been in entrepreneurship and governance.  This to me signals that Africa has already started to take her future into her own hands.  This is probably what Mr. Konare expected the French President to say.  That is where I agree with Mr. Konare.  However, where I have disagreed with him was on his stance, while serving in the capacity of AU Chairman, towards Zimbabwe.  I'll just summarize it by saying that his approach to the crisis befalling the nation of Zimbabwe seems to be very "hands off".  This would almost underscore at least part of what France's president mentions.  However, dwelling here on the particulars of the speech, appears to be a distraction.

The question of how to bring about economic freedom to Africa is multifaceted.  Therefore, the answer should also have several layers.

The following are some of the items that I believe African nations could focus on to begin controlling their own economic destinies:

  • Continuing to embrace and empower entrepreneurs
  • Focusing on service oriented export industries
  • Strong governance
  • Continual investment in infrastructure
  • More intra-continental trade
  • Making education more accessible to economically disadvantaged children
  • The continent re-claiming her own public relations and image, so that the tragedies affecting six countries don't need to dissuade investors from investing in the other 48 nations
  • Finding ways to include the informal market sectors within growth strategies
  • Eliminating the barriers for women in business

Of course it is easier said than done, but it is already being done by several African nations, which leads me to believe that it can be done elsewhere on the continent.

ogo sow wrote:

African Brothers & Sisters please Stop the Complaining,
We Can do it ...let's show the World that Africa Can compete...it's about time for the Africans in the Diaspora to Stand-Up for Africa...the Grand Debate-  just Open what do you think? and what's in your mind? about Africa Issues?
Mr Africa,
7Days a Week 24 Hours a Day
live broadcasting from Atlanta!
He proposed a "shared development, a common strategy in the face of globalisation ... to prepare for the advent of 'EurAfrica'".

sowa...@yahoo.com : Radio & TV Productions on Time warner cable every tuesday 2: 30 pm on www.ogosow.com  www.senegalembassy-us.org/www.miraclecorners.org office 770-456-5756 or  678-571-1810
Peace & Love Each one Teach one!!!

Gavin Chait

Jul 29, 2007, 9:14:09 AM7/29/07
to Benin "Mwangi", sowa...@yahoo.com, enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
I continue to believe that Africa's greatest problem is an over-reliance on central government.  For as long as government and aid constitute the bulk of an economy there is no market beyond patronage, no entrepreneurial class, and no respect for ability instead of "connections".

The future for African government is bleak.  Arthur C Clarke said that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.  Consider that the average age of Europeans, Americans and Asians is now the life-expectancy of the average African state.  Consider the incredible technological and social changes that are occurring in the OECD.  These will extend into Africa; but not to states, to people.  As they do a government's ability to tax for growth is weakened without a concomitant investment in systems to keep pace.

Yet, without centralised structures, it is difficult to build the necessary infrastructure to attract large-scale manufacturing and industry that creates meaningful investment and jobs.  Africa is likely to remain adrift.

European governments are starting to see this, realising that aid is ineffective, and increasingly frustrated with African governments' inability to pay it attention.  I expect that Africa's favourite donors and partners are likely to drop less and less subtle hints about what they would see done.

Expect more bruised egos and heated exchanges.

Gavin Chait

Director of Research
Whythawk Ratings
+27 (0) 84 472 7867