Creating a group blog

whythawk

Jul 14, 2007, 9:25:44 AM7/14/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
I have not posted here often and part of that is the sense that, with
all due respect to members, we are skirting any central purpose.

Two months ago I was invited to join Scholars & Rogues (http://
scholarsandrogues.wordpress.com/), a US-based group blog focused on
issues of politics and economics. The intention was to pull together
great writers with distinctive voices to work together on a single
collective endeavour. Agreement on the issues is not required. Raw
talent and professionalism is.

The group started with six writers posting two articles a week each.
They're usually cross-posted from our existing blogs and so don't take
much extra work. However, the impact is like teamwork. We can be
taken seriously. S&R has broken stories, interviewed politicians,
challenged both business and political leaders. And we do this
knowing that we are supported by a group.

My recent writings on Zimbabwe have resulted in calls from as far
afield as Brazil, and the UK's BBC HardTalk to discuss.

This may not be for all of you. It is about constructive criticism and
a clear exposition of issues and solutions. When I am concentrating on
issues all the time then I blog regularly. When it is a once a month
event, I forget.

The most important thing I learned at S&R is just how seriously
Americans take their democracy. We Africans are not serious enough.
If we act as a group we can not only improve our individual profiles
but we can demand a greater account from those who represent us.

Let me know if you're interested and, if there is sufficient support,
I'll set it up.

Gavin Chait
http://www.whythawk.com/

beninmwangi

Jul 16, 2007, 8:48:35 AM7/16/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
Sounds quite interesting, me personally, I do not have the available
time to commit to such a project. However, I wouldnt be surprised if
you were able to find some members here who'd be more able to
participate.

Quick note also:

The central purpose of this group is to more or less act as a meeting
place for bloggers who talk about business or entrepreneurship issues
that affect the African continent to bounce ideas off of one another.
It initially was formed as a cross-posting platform and has evolved
into a place where bloggers may share ideas.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. Good day.