Fwd: Mozambique ex-leader bags Africa leadership prize

Benin Mwangi WB

Oct 23, 2007, 10:39:21 PM10/23/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
This story has spurred a lot of debate since Monday.  And I guess for me the way that it might fit in here within an entrepreneurial context is that good governance, sound macro economic policy, and entrepreneurship tend to go hand in hand.  Sometimes one occurs without the other, but when the three occur together usually the by product is robust economic growth.

afrol News, 22 October - The former Mozambican President, Joachim Chissano has become the winner of the inaugural Mo Ibrahim Prize for Achievement in African Leadership - the largest individual prize in the world.

The prize worth US $5 million for 10 years and US$200,000 annually for life thereafter. Besides, the laureate gets US $200,000 a year for 10 years to grease his public interest activities and good causes.

The Chair of the Prize Committee, Kofi Annan who unveiled the news at a high profile occasion in London today, hailed "Chissano for his achievements in bringing peace, reconciliation, stable democracy and economic progress to his country greatly impressed the committee. So, too, did his decision to step down without seeking the third term the constitution allowed."

I am just curious to find out you think about this prize.  Do you think such a prize will help improve the playing field for Africa's entrepreneurs, by influencing more accountability from the continent's leadership? I was just curious.  Thanks

--

    Benin Mwangi Brown
    Consultant, Benin Mwangi Enterprises

    "New Frontiers Becoming New Realities"

--

    Benin Mwangi Brown
    Consultant, Benin Mwangi Enterprises
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/beninmwangib
    http://beninmwangi.com

    "New Frontiers Becoming New Realities"

omodudu omodudu

Oct 24, 2007, 1:25:29 PM10/24/07
to enterprising-afr...@googlegroups.com
The Mo prize, will definitely serve as an incentive for Presidents from smaller African countries, but for the larger African countries, with loads of natural resources 5 million would not shake up the Good-bad governance decision matrix of the leaders that much. Keep in mind that the expected value of the prize itself is much lower than 5 million dollars when discounted for the chance of winning. In this area five 1million dollar prizes may push the cause of good governance more than one 5 million dollar prize.
However, the signal effect of an African prize for good governance makes the whole deal totally worth it. I actually think Africa is getting a whole lot of good publicity for cheap. So my call is, good idea and great job. Time to grab my tuxedo and off to celebrate with Chissano.

beninmwangi

Oct 24, 2007, 4:33:33 PM10/24/07
to Africa Enterprising Blog Network
Omodudu,
interesting observations. I see where you are coming from. To me
what I like about the prize is that it could give African heads of
state options after office. Comparatively speaking, I'd say that a
retired African Head of State might would have a much bigger
adjustment after leaving office than one in another part of the
world. Even if the African President left office very wealthy.

So as I see it this could give African Heads of State options after
office. The lack of certainty ( or the large possibility that the
next president could make the former's life very bumpy after office) I
think is what deters many from leaving office. like you, I don't
think this award will deter a president who has already become
accustomed to engaging in unlawful acts of their respective country
from doing more. But I guess it isn't aimed after those-after all I
think their are term limit stipulations before one can even be
considered for nomination.

However, for those who havent either because they are new to office or
for other reasons, I think this is potential award might be
deterrent. But only if it is practical enough that they see it as an
alternative to enriching themselves through ill gotten means and then
clinging to power so that the next president or comittee doesnt freeze
their assets.

I think it is a very worthy effort and it is a great example of
African solutions to African problems. Maybe it is a work in progress
though and like most good things in life will improve over time...