Pro and cons of early adoption of Enterprise2.0

amitpa...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2007, 10:46:59 AM4/13/07
to Enterprise2.0
At this moment, lots of people may think that it's a futuristic
idea and like to wait and watch before any adoption.
While few can think that era has started and can see the
momentum towards Enterprise2.0 and would like to be early adopter.
Let's discuss what can be advantage and disadvantage of being
early adopter of Enterprise 2.0.

guerino1

Apr 29, 2007, 11:02:47 PM4/29/07
to Enterprise2.0
Hello Amit,

Enterprise 2.0 is alive and well and enterprises are already moving to
it in droves. Companies like our own are already offering highly
integrated and complete access to fully hosted web Intranets that:

- meet all Web 2.0 traits/requirements,
- take full advantage of Semantic Web concepts like RDF and OWL/WOL,
and
- are being used to offer entirely new paradigms for enterprise class
software provisioning, using Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) as a model
of allowing access to world class tools and technologies.

The old paradigm is you build/buy your own software, provision your
own hardware to deploy it on, hire your own people to support it, and
pay year-over-year to maintain it and help it grow and stay up to
date.

In the new paradigm, customers just connect to Enterprise 2.0
infrastructures that are up, running, ready to use, and available
through simple subscription models. It's a very powerful, yet highly
affordable, paradigm that is changing how enterprises provision tools
and technologies to their employees. It's almost like connecting to a
utility company. Enterprise 2.0, through SaaS, is quickly becoming
the new "flattener" (to use Tom Friedman's terminology), allowing
small and mid-sized enterprises to have access to the same solutions
that, in the past, were only available to large enterprises that could
afford heavy investments in IT.

I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
On-Demand IT

amitpa...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2007, 3:47:37 AM4/30/07
to Enterprise2.0
Hi Frank,
I agree that Enteprise 2.0 is alive and i am able to understand
its advantage. orgnization can generate and consume large amount of
important data using collabration. According to my point of view any
orgnization can think about Enterprise 2.0 tools, if and only if they
are hosted behind the proxy. but in case of Software-as-as-Service
paradigm as you described there is huge amount of data risk involved.
In this new paradigm, org. are bound to pushing their critical data to
others hands and its a major risk of any business, client etc.. I
agree that this apporach , (sign-in and start using service) is easy
to adopt, manage , and cost -effecity, but i am not sure how it will
be in practice.

I am not able to think any way to mitigate the high risk invovled
in SaaS but I am sure as being CEO , you would have been asked these
questions and you will have some way. I will be very please to know
about that.

Thanks & Regards
Amit Agrawal
amitpa...@gmail.com
amitpagrawal.blogspot.com

Frank Guerino

Apr 30, 2007, 8:01:39 AM4/30/07
to enterp...@googlegroups.com
Hello Amit,

Actually, there is little to no risk at all when it comes to the data.  Companies like Salesforce.com, CollabNet, Business Engine Networks, etc. have all blazed the trail for a number of years, now.  Already they have huge customer bases that are composed of some of the biggest brands in the world, supporting the facts that not only is it acceptable to let SaaS providers host your data in their systems but, in this day and age, it's fast becoming a realization that the SaaS providers are better at managing and securing the systems and the data within them.

Outsourcing the management of one’s data to another company, is a common thing that’s been already happening for many decades.  Enterprises have been outsourcing critical data to their Benefits, Payroll, Accounting, and Legal services providers for many decades.  In the last few years, alone, companies have been outsourcing their critical systems support and the IP used to design and develop new systems to entirely foreign companies in countries like India, China, and Singapore.  All providers simply have contracts to ensure the security and stability of those relationships.

Also, Software-as-a-Service is not as new of a paradigm as you might think.  Managed Services and ASP have been around for decades, now.  SaaS is simply a Web 2.0 wrapper around such services.  SaaS companies have been around since the late 90’s.  They just weren’t labeled as being SaaS companies until just recently.  For example, Salesforce.com was around long before the terms Web 2.0 and SaaS emerged as industry acceptable descriptions.

The reality is that, in most cases, the SaaS providers are better equipped to handle security of data, the provisioning of the most elite features, and the maintenance of systems than the customers that use their systems.  The reality is that having your own dedicated IT, with your own dedicated infrastructure, and your own dedicated space to house that infrastructure (implying you're building and maintaining your own datacenter), and maintaining it, all, is becoming more and more expensive and complicated to do.  Leaders of small to mid-sized companies are smart enough to realize this.  They realize that they can't compete with firms that specialize in such solutions and therefore realize that it's smarter to leverage what already exists than to try and do it all, themselves.  So they do.  And, as a result, they get far more, better, faster, and cheaper than if they had tried to build and maintain it all, themselves.  The end result... They leapfrog past their competitors.

And, yes, as the leader of our company, I can tell you that the most common question is, "How do you maintain the security of our data?"  In most cases the answer is more than acceptable, especially when they see everything they’re getting for the price they’re paying.

I hope you find this useful.

My Best

Frank Guerino, CEO
TraverseIT
908-294-5191 Cell
http://www.TraverseIT.com

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

amitpa...@gmail.com

May 7, 2007, 6:06:22 AM5/7/07
to Enterprise2.0
Thanks Frank for giving answer, It makes some sense for me.