YottaDB r1.30 and Go API (wrapper) v1.1.0 released

K.S. Bhaskar

Aug 14, 2020, 11:17:28 AM8/14/20
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
[Since this is slightly off topic for this list, please respond directly to me with any issues. Thank you.]

YottaDB r1.30 is a major release now ready for production use, along with its Go wrapper v1.1.0.
It has been almost a year since YottaDB r1.28, and we have been busy, as you may have noticed if you follow our commits and updates on GitLab. While the major goals of this release are to provide functionality required by the forthcoming Octo 1.0 production release; additional signal handling infrastructure for the Go wrapper; and functionality for the forthcoming 1.0 release of the Rust wrapper, there are a many enhancements, which together make r1.30 one of our biggest releases to date.

The most important enhancement is the intrinsic special variable, $ZYSQLNULL, which when as a local variable subscript or node value, allows Octo to distinguish between an empty string ("") and a NULL (the absence of a value).

Other highlights include:

  • The ydbinstall / ydbinstall.sh scripts include --enclugin, --octo, --posix, and --zlib command line options to install plugins.
  • The %YDBPROCSTUCKEXEC routine provides a standard action that can be invoked via the ydb_procstuckexec environment variable.
  • The $ZJOBEXAM() function allows for specification of the data to dumped. For example, the dumping of local variables can be avoided unless required, as local variables may contain confidential information.
  • yottadb -version provides a detailed report on the YottaDB build.
  • $ZCONVERT() provides fast conversion between decimal and hexadecimal.
  • $ZYHASH() returns the 128-bit MurmurHash3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MurmurHash#MurmurHash3) hash of a string.
  • Simple API functions use nanosecond timers internally.
  • $RANDOM() has an all-new implementation with no change to the API. While we have not conducted statistical tests, in theory this implementation should provide better random numbers faster.
  • To facilitate migration to YottaDB from big endian versions of the upstream code base, GDE can automatically convert global directories from big to little endian formats.
  • CentOS 8 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on x86_64 are Supported platforms with their own binary distributions.

YottadB r1.30 is upward compatible with YottaDB r1.28, as well as with GT.M V6.3-008.

As with any YottaDB release, there are numerous other enhancements and fixes, some specific to YottaDB (including fixes to issues we discovered in the upstream code base), and others inherited from the upstream GT.M V6.3-008, The release notes at https://gitlab.com/YottaDB/DB/YDB/-/releases/r1.30 provide more detail.

Please do try YottaDB r.130, as well as the Go wrapper, and send us your questions and comments. Thank you for using YottaDB, and please stay tuned for forthcoming announcements about the Octo 1.0 release. Octo is a YottaDB plugin that provides SQL/JDBC access to YottaDB global variables.

Regards
– Bhaskar

K.S. Bhaskar
President, YottaDB LLC
40 Lloyd Avenue, Suite 104
Malvern, PA 19355, USA
bha...@yottadb.com
https://yottadb.com

--
YottaDB - Rock solid. Lightning fast. Secure. Pick any three.