mgweb log file issue *resolved*

OldMster

Feb 18, 2022, 1:13:14 PMFeb 18
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
I've been struggling to figure out why I couldn't get the log file working for mgweb using Apache2 on Linux.

The issue was permissions (of course).  I thought since the mgweb process started by xinetd were running under a specific username/group, that should be the credentials used when writing to the log file.  But as is often the case, I was wrong.

The log file is written by the mgweb_apache plugin, so it is written by the Apache2 credentials, which in my case is www-data.

I figured it out by making the log directory writeable by all, then removing the mgweb.log file.  On the next activity, it created a new file and I could then see what credential were used.  Now I can restrict that log directory to the correct credentials.

Mark