qewd-up on Cache'

Michael Reach

Dec 30, 2022, 9:45:47 AM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
We recently tried upgrading node-js to version 19 from version 12.16.1 to 19.3.0. We couldn't get qewd-up started afterwards; get this message that it can't find mg-dbx.
1) Is there a restriction on which node-js we can use?
2) Is there a simple way to get a fresh working install of qewd-up afterwards? We'll keep all our own qewd-up files that were working fine till the upgrade.
Thanks,
Michael Reach

rtweed

Dec 30, 2022, 10:11:00 AM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Hi Michael

You'll need to provide some more information for anyone to help, eg:

-  what platform / OS are you using for QEWD?

- Is it a native or dockerised system that you're using and how are you starting it?

-- please provide your QEWD configuration data too.

- Finally please give details of the exact error message you see that is telling you it can't find mg-dbx.

Many thanks
Rob

Rob Tweed

Dec 30, 2022, 10:13:43 AM12/30/22
to enterprise-web-de...@googlegroups.com
Also, any reason for going to Node.js v19?  v18 is the more sensible one to use for production as it has long term support.  v19 is primarily a development strand

Rob Tweed
Director, M/Gateway Developments Ltd
http://www.mgateway.com

Michael Reach

Dec 30, 2022, 10:17:26 AM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Hi, Rob! Thanks.
Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, version 1607, 64 bit, x64
OS Build 14393.5582

Native, not dockerized qewd.
config.json:
{
  "qewd": {
    "managementPassword": "qewdtest",
    "serverName": "CACHET1 QEWD Server",
    "poolSize": 1,
    "port": 8080,
    "database": {
      "type": "dbx",
      "params": {
        "database": "Cache",
        "path": "D:\\Cache\\SMILE\\Mgr",
        "username": "QEWD",
        "password": XXXX,
        "namespace": "SMILE"
      }
    }
  }
}

Michael Reach

Dec 30, 2022, 10:26:26 AM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Error message (this is no longer current as we've started failbacks and stuff) from a few days ago when this started:

I’m getting the following error in the Log (D:\qewd\qewd-up\Log\Output.txt), whenever I try to restart via the script

(PS D:\qewd\qewd-up> cqewd-up restart):

*** master received exit event from worker process 1584

socket 31mLxw8TiaHRoQE-AAAB disconnected

no available workers

sent qoper8-start message to 5204

process.argv[2] = qewd.worker

workerModule: qewd; worker

Thu, 22 Dec 2022 19:23:16 GMT; master process received response from worker 5204: {"type":"error","finished":true,"message":"The specified procedure could not be found.\r\n\\\\?\\d:\\qewd\\qewd-up\\node_modules\\mg-dbx.node"}

*** master received exit event from worker process 5204

Michael Reach

Dec 30, 2022, 10:32:00 AM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
I don't think we have a particular attachment to node-js v19!

Rob Tweed

Dec 30, 2022, 10:33:06 AM12/30/22
to enterprise-web-de...@googlegroups.com
OK as it's a Windows system, I think it's due to the qewd/up/run_native.js module being out of date.

At the top of it you'll see these lines:

Can you edit your copy and add a line for v19:

Alternatively, manually copy the node19 version of mg-dbx.node to your setup's node_modules file

Let me know if that get's you working?

Rob

Michael Reach

Dec 30, 2022, 2:12:49 PM12/30/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
I'll let you know.

wdbacker

Dec 31, 2022, 3:30:51 AM12/31/22
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Hi Michael,

I'd recommend to stay always on even-numbered Node.js versions. Odd numbered versions are for developing new features, but not for production use.

ATM, I'd still recommend v16 which is still under maintenance. The LTS version v18 has some issues with popular frameworks like Nuxt (see this issue), that's the reason why I personally still run on v16. This will definitely change in the coming weeks/months, but I have the impression that some packages still show some issues.

HTH,
Ward

Michael Reach

Jan 4, 2023, 3:42:14 PM1/4/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
So qewd-up came back, but when we tried starting it on my application, it keeps saying that node_module pieces are missing. I recall you once suggested removing node_modules and doing something to reload it?
Michael

Rob Tweed

Jan 5, 2023, 10:38:51 AM1/5/23
to enterprise-web-de...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you should probably delete (preferably rename) your node_modules directory and run npm install which will recreate it, pulling in all the dependencies specified in your QEWD system’s package.json file. Remember to copy in a new instance of mg_dbx.node afterwards.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Jan 2023, at 20:42, Michael Reach <michoe...@gmail.com> wrote:

So qewd-up came back, but when we tried starting it on my application, it keeps saying that node_module pieces are missing. I recall you once suggested removing node_modules and doing something to reload it?

aditya varun

Jan 30, 2023, 11:03:12 AM1/30/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Can we read/write json data in YottoDB using python?

aditya varun

Jan 30, 2023, 11:03:12 AM1/30/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Hi,
I am just tryont to explore YottaDB.
Just want to confirm , Can we read/write json data to YottaDB using Python?
Thanks for the replies!!

Thanks and Regards,
Aditya

Michael Reach

May 2, 2023, 5:50:39 PM5/2/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
So this fix worked well in the Development system. But now we are trying to repeat the node-js upgrade (to v.18, as suggested) in our Live system. After all this, the service that runs qewd-up gets Paused right after it starts.
The output.txt in the Log folder looks okay, but we're getting an Error.txt in the Log folder that looks like this:

d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\engine.io\build\server.js:379
        this.ws = new this.opts.wsEngine({
                  ^

TypeError: this.opts.wsEngine is not a constructor
    at Server.init (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\engine.io\build\server.js:379:19)
    at new BaseServer (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\engine.io\build\server.js:58:14)
    at new Server (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\engine.io\build\server.js:368:1)
    at attach (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\engine.io\build\engine.io.js:52:20)
    at Server.initEngine (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\socket.io\dist\index.js:289:43)
    at Server.attach (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\socket.io\dist\index.js:228:14)
    at new Server (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\socket.io\dist\index.js:118:18)
    at module.exports (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\node_modules\socket.io\dist\index.js:798:33)
    at startServer (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\lib\master.js:245:38)
    at qoper8.<anonymous> (d:\qewd\qewd-up\node_modules\qewd\lib\master.js:301:7)

Node.js v18.16.0

What does it mean?
Thanks,
Michael Reach

wdbacker

May 3, 2023, 3:08:37 AM5/3/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Hi,

You should check your socket.io module version in your package.json file: you can't use the recent versions (> v2.x) because the options syntax changed in version 4.x: https://socket.io/docs/v4/migrating-from-3-x-to-4-0/#wsengine-option

In case you're adding the socket.io module in your own package.json file, this can interfere with the version that the qewd module needs.

As Rob already suggested, make sure you completely delete your main node_modules folder (in case you have your own *.js files in the main node_modules directory: don't forget to backup them first!!!) and also delete the package-lock.json file in your qewd root directory, then run "npm install" again.

HTH,
Ward

Michael Reach

May 3, 2023, 7:42:59 AM5/3/23
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
Thank you, that makes sense.
It is hard to track down internal pieces like socket-io. I only found out about it by reading through the log files. Is there a clear sequence that should be followed when upgrading node-js in this way? In other words, starting from our current node-js v 14 installation, and whatever other qewd-up pieces (plus we also use multer and dot-env). Is there a set of steps that we would expect would yield a new working system?
Thanks,
Michael