Confused over various QEWD reqos

Noel da Costa

Apr 3, 2021, 12:12:01 PM4/3/21
to Enterprise Web Developer Community
I'm trying to get up and running again on QEWD. It's been a few years since my last foray into it and the landscape seems to have changed a bit. Back then it was vagrant, now its Docker.

The problem I'm having is that there are so many different flavours now that I can't figure out where to start?

There's qewd-baseline and qewd-up and qewd-monitor-adminui and qewd-starter-kit-yottadb and qewd-jsdb... and the list goes on and on. Quite honestly I'm lost. I've had a go but I'm failing to find purchase.

How do I navigate this?

Tx,
Noel

Rob Tweed

Apr 3, 2021, 2:49:28 PM4/3/21
to enterprise-web-de...@googlegroups.com
The various repos all use QEWD the same way, but are simply different examples of how to use and try out QEWD depending on the database you want to use, and whether or not you want to use the Dockerised version of QEWD or want to install and configure your own native setup.

There’s nothing forcing you to use Docker, but it’s the quickest and simplest version of QEWD to get started with. The dockerised version uses a pre-installed copy of YottaDB.

I’d suggest you try out the QEWD-jsdb repo  which focuses mainly on understanding the database abstraction used in QEWD.

If you think you already understand the database abstraction, then try the QEWD-baseline repo which is more focused on how to get going with rest and interactive apps.

If you’re interested in installing your own native QEWD system with your own YottaDB installation, then use the QEWD YottaDB starter kit repo. If you want Iris, use the equivalent repo for iris.

The various repos also cover the various operating systems to help people understand how to set things up for windows or linux.

They all use QEWD up as the basis for how you do things, and all cover pretty much the same ground. As such I’ve tried to be helpful to as many different people with as many different requirements as possible.

QEWD-monitor-adminui is a new version of the QEWD monitor app - unless you want to learn how it works, you can ignore this repo. It’s automatically installed in QEWD for you (both native and dockerised) so don’t worry about it

Hopefully that explanation helps?

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

On 3 Apr 2021, at 17:12, Noel da Costa <noeld...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm trying to get up and running again on QEWD. It's been a few years since my last foray into it and the landscape seems to have changed a bit. Back then it was vagrant, now its Docker.

Noel da Costa

Apr 3, 2021, 5:04:17 PM4/3/21
to Enterprise Web Developer Community

Thanks Rob,