Evaluation of EnterMediaDB

K B

Sep 11, 2018, 1:44:02 PM9/11/18
to EnterMedia
Hello all,

I hope that I'm at the right spot to ask some questions on EnterMediaDB even we're not using it yet and still in the process of evaluating the different possible DAM solutions.

So what do we want to do: basically, we try to establish a centralised "Media Asset Collection System" for our e-commerceshop (self programmed custom solution) - e.g: product images, brand images, marketing images that then should be pulled by our e-shop to its local webserver in the custom target size we need it for.

We thought of having 3 different Categories (Brands, Products, Marketing) that then get a created substructure by api calls (e.g.: product gets created/ changed -> item path gets checked by backend) so that a path then ends up e.g.:

/Brands/BrandName
/Products/000-BrandName/0000-ItemName

where under 0000-ItemName a user puts in the product image(s) and use a metadata-tag for sorting them in the right direction. When our shop frontend needs an image it calls up the api and retrieves the image in a special resolution it needs.

The images themselves should be stored on AWS S3 with versioning and multi-datacenter replication so that we can have a reliable backup strategy as well, as losing all those images would be a real problem :)

What do you think of this approach? would this work well or did I miss anything?

Best,

KB

PS: Oh, and since we're located in germany and would like to use the german version, I also wonder where the language settings are located at, since the current translation is ....  well emm .... not really well done (to speak diplomatically at least);

Christopher Shanti Burkey

Sep 13, 2018, 10:50:45 AM9/13/18
to enter...@googlegroups.com
A centralized "Media Asset Collection System is exactly what we strive for!

This is a perfect use of for Hotfolders and for collections.

If you use our Docker version then run updatedev.sh on it you will have our latest version of Hotfolders that has built in Amazon S3 support. Then you can right click on any sub folders and make a EnterMedia Collections for those assets. The collection is associated with a folder that you can assign groups view and edit permissions.

Yes, everyone complains about the automatic Google German translations.. :)  They can be updated from the /manager Translation tools. We also offer free dev consultation:  https://entermediadb.org/customization-and-client-services/

thanks!

K B

Sep 14, 2018, 5:11:39 AM9/14/18
to EnterMedia
Thanks a lot for your reply. I've seen this hotfolders somehow, but were unable to make sense for myself in them. How can you sort within these? - not every image is same importance... Or did I misunderstood the idea behind them? - Can you guide me to some documentation about them?

Regarding the Translations: where are these located at in the github repo? - you really need a native speaker fix on these :)

I'm sure we take some consultation from you in the next weeks, yet, I need to get a bigger grasp/ better understanding of the system. I've run it in a local VM till now, install was quite easy on ubuntu 16.04 (didnt work on 18.04 as some codecs cant be reached anymore...) - what kind of deployment model do you suggest for a real production setup? (we only need a single instance, thats for sure, but what kind of setup is best in terms of upgrade / stability?)

Best,

KB

Christopher Burkey

Sep 19, 2018, 4:36:29 PM9/19/18
to EnterMedia
Hotfoders are just for indexing a big folder of assets. It just creates records for all the files. Then in the DAM you can sort them or organize them by collections and assign importance/approval.

We strongly recommend using our Docker installation instructions or we can help you install it.