Anyone still working on this?

nburke

Dec 4, 2008, 1:38:15 PM12/4/08
to Enso Developers
Hi all,

I came across the Enso app on Humanized, and eventually I ended up
here. There are a few things I'd like to tweak on this tool
(expanding the calculator functionality is one). But first, is anyone
still actively working on this? Second, will the code build and work
on all the target platforms as is?

From what I can tell most of the developers have moved off to
Mozilla Labs and are working on Ubiquity - a cool tool, but not as far
reaching as something like Enso that can interact with the OS as a
whole (not just in a web browser).

Give me a shout out anyone who might be listening.

Timothy Biron

Dec 4, 2008, 3:18:56 PM12/4/08
to enso-de...@googlegroups.com
I don't think the community is to active as a whole.  There are a select few people that do there own thing and make updates to the community branch.  This is the first post to this group in quite some time.  I am still trying to get Enso to build with MinGW rather than Visual Studio.  I use the Windows version currently and would like to tweak a few things myself but would like to get this step done first.

The code doesn't build for Windows or Mac easily as of now (Linux has always been running without much issue).  Some people have gotten it to build on Windows successfully with some tweaks, but I don't think they have updated the community branch given that they don't know the true extent of what they changed to get it to build (or at least that is what I picked up from their comments).  You can find those threads with the changes in the group page somewhere.

Open source Enso has yet to get to much steam as a community project.  Some do some great dev things with it (like the command installer) but overall it lacks leadership which is why the community is small with little activity.  I'd like to see someone take the lead for the project as a whole.  I would, but I've been extremely busy lately which is why it is taking be forever to get Enso to build with MinGW.

nburke

Dec 4, 2008, 6:02:02 PM12/4/08
to Enso Developers
Bummer, guess those guys are busy with their new jobs. Hate to see
such a useful app die like this. I'm going to give a try to get
things running on Mac (OS X 10.5). I've heard alot about Quicksilver,
but it seems much more tied to the Mac platform - I have to switch
worlds for work vs. home. Anyway, if I'm successful I'll submit my
mods to the tree.

-Nat

On Dec 4, 12:18 pm, "Timothy Biron" <timothybi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think the community is to active as a whole.  There are a select few
> people that do there own thing and make updates to the community branch.
> This is the first post to this group in quite some time.  I am still trying
> to get Enso to build with MinGW rather than Visual Studio.  I use the
> Windows version currently and would like to tweak a few things myself but
> would like to get this step done first.
>
> The code doesn't build for Windows or Mac easily as of now (Linux has always
> been running without much issue).  Some people have gotten it to build on
> Windows successfully with some tweaks, but I don't think they have updated
> the community branch given that they don't know the true extent of what they
> changed to get it to build (or at least that is what I picked up from their
> comments).  You can find those threads with the changes in the group page
> somewhere.
>
> Open source Enso has yet to get to much steam as a community project.  Some
> do some great dev things with it (like the command installer) but overall it
> lacks leadership which is why the community is small with little activity.
> I'd like to see someone take the lead for the project as a whole.  I would,
> but I've been extremely busy lately which is why it is taking be forever to
> get Enso to build with MinGW.

nburke

Dec 4, 2008, 8:33:40 PM12/4/08
to Enso Developers
Ok, that was painless. Got it running on OSX. Only thing is its
totally gutted. All I have is 'help', 'google', and a broken
'evaluate'. Anyone know why 90% of the commands were ripped out of
the community version? Maybe they were windows specific?

Jimmy Miller

Dec 4, 2008, 10:09:15 PM12/4/08
to enso-de...@googlegroups.com
Atul has a couple here http://hg.toolness.com/my-enso-commands/ . and
making them is so simple. It's just a fun thing to program. and very
useful.

Aza

Dec 4, 2008, 9:06:23 PM12/4/08
to enso-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Most of the problem that the Humanized team is now focusing must of our energy on Ubiquity. The hope is to  unite their functionality (we think of Ubiquity almost as Enso 2.0 with lessons learned).

-- aza | ɐzɐ --

Stuart Langridge

Dec 5, 2008, 6:39:23 AM12/5/08
to enso-de...@googlegroups.com
> Most of the problem that the Humanized team is now focusing must of our
> energy on Ubiquity. The hope is to unite their functionality (we think of
> Ubiquity almost as Enso 2.0 with lessons learned).

Indeed. I, personally, prefer Enso -- most of the stuff that I do with
Enso is desktop commands rather than web stuff, so Ubiquity doesn't
help me. I haven't had any time to look at Enso since doing a talk
about it at PyCon UK in September, tragically, but I'd like to get
back to it again. One area where Ubiquity is ahead is in easy
installation of new commands; I put together a couple of approaches to
that a few months ago, and I'd like to pick up on that again if people
have comments on the existing approaches or suggestions for new ones
(take a look at the list archives for previous discussions).

sil

nburke

Dec 5, 2008, 12:20:16 PM12/5/08
to Enso Developers
Ok, thanks for the update Aza. I think I'll spend some time looking
into Ubiquity then and I hope you guys can break it out of the browser
box soon. In the meantime I think I'll add some of the web-based/
standalone things I've wanted for desktop Enso into Ubiquity add-ons.
Take care all,

-Nat

Jon Olick

Dec 5, 2008, 12:22:18 PM12/5/08
to Enso Developers
While I think Enso is great, and I certainly use it much more than
ubiquity right now. I think that Aza's and his team's decision to go
all web browser was a smart one. The future of practically every
application exists inside a web browser. Any application that is not,
will eventually be replaced by ones that are. Therefore, The choice to
work inside the web browser and really take advantage of all the
possibilities there was a really good one to make for the future, but
a poor one for the present. I for one support their move.

Jesse

Dec 5, 2008, 1:02:38 PM12/5/08
to enso-de...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Jon Olick <zel...@gmail.com> wrote:

While I think Enso is great, and I certainly use it much more than
ubiquity right now. I think that Aza's and his team's decision to go
all web browser was a smart one. The future of practically every
application exists inside a web browser. Any application that is not,
will eventually be replaced by ones that are. Therefore, The choice to
work inside the web browser and really take advantage of all the
possibilities there was a really good one to make for the future, but
a poor one for the present. I for one support their move.

That all applications will be placed inside the web browser is a very long term (> 10 years) view, and is somewhat debatable. No sense playing out that argument here though. Is a happy medium possible? It would be nice to have an ubiquitenso that worked with word processors that support such esoteric features as columns, custom fonts, and paragraph margins (openoffice), and thus had some presence outside the browser.

Whether this would be implemented entirely in-browser by XPCOM, or through a bridge from Ubiquity to Enso is largely a design decision, and I'm glad that the Humanized team is hoping to extend Ubiquity's reach outside the browser (if that is what you mean?). Given that I don't have time to work on Enso right now, these are just free-floating desires. Make of them what you will.

--
Jesse Weaver
Message has been deleted

f4cio3 f4cio3

Jul 17, 2021, 11:19:21 AM7/17/21
to Enso Developers
 Not really actively working on it but finally made setup so I can hand it to community...

ENSO+ is a stand-alone open source version for Windows written in .Net