Details

JFlores

Sep 11, 2010, 7:06:51 AM9/11/10
to 3rings - A Map of Middle-earth
Is it possible to add more detail as you zoom in? I mean, you can only
see Hobbiton in the Shire no matter how much you zoom in and there are
many other villages there. Same applies to other parts of the Middle
Earth.
I really like the work, its great!

Kris Kowal

Sep 11, 2010, 11:31:59 AM9/11/10
to enno...@googlegroups.com

Thanks; I'll let you in on a little secret.

http://3rin.gs/test/#0.0405273,0.0780640,0.2936198,0.3339030,l,

This is from a tile set that I just rendered this week, which is
incomplete and not ready for release. This detail appears at zoom
level 5, so it doesn't mess up the artistic consistency of the
overview. It's a little more involved to overlay detail at closer
zoom levels since it requires an alpha mask and some attention to
blending the borders, but I think it'll work out. The detail in
Lothlorien was one of the first geography graphics I made, but
abandoned early since its detail was inconsistent with the surrounds.
The Moria detail will likely be abandoned. I haven't uploaded the
corresponding label tiles yet, but they should be finished by now (It
takes about 20 hours to bake a tile set)

Kris Kowal