Directions?

Will

Sep 20, 2010, 9:13:12 PM9/20/10
to 3rings - A Map of Middle-earth
How about setting up a navigation feature, where you can input your
point of origin and destination, and then from there get the route and
travel time on foot, horseback, or on water. I think it would be
really cool to trace the path of the fellowship, and then get an idea
for just how much travel time was involved in the whole journey!

Kris Kowal

Sep 20, 2010, 9:22:58 PM9/20/10
to enno...@googlegroups.com

This is definitely the most-oft-requested feature in the comments so
far. Presently, I don't have the technical acumen to pull this off,
but I do plan to eventually produce GeoJSON for the map as an
auxiliary resource, which would certainly be a step in that direction.
I'll have my eye out for hints and help for this in the upcoming
year.

In the interim, I'm planning to do a similar, but probably more
pressing feature: I want to make a sort of slide-show that traces the
route followed by the characters by each story. There would be
navigation (prev / next) at the bottom with (hopefully) ancillary text
in the article box on the top-right for each location.

I've also made some progress on incorporating quotes from the book at
each location, but that project will require significant further
development.

Kris

Will McCollough

Sep 20, 2010, 9:25:16 PM9/20/10
to enno...@googlegroups.com
Either way, that's awesome! This whole project is pretty fantastic!
--
William J. McCollough